Forum home Toddlers & older children Tantrums & behaviour

How can I stop this sudden 'self-harm'?

Please help... Eoin has suddenly began to hit his own face and bite his hands! He will do it if he is told NO about anything or if he gets frustrated trying to do something and fails. I dont know why his started doing this.. it was all of a sudden. We often see his little freinds and dont think he picked it up from them.. infact, curiously..Eoin started 'pushing' his friends! I dont know how to stop either of these behaviors.. please help.. I dont want make it worse. x Ps. hes 28 months!

[Modified by: Palmtree on 01 March 2010 09:09:12 ]

Replies

• With pushing friends I would tell him very clearly and firmly that it is not kind and people don't like it (get down on his level and give eye contact while you tell him this) and then give him a time out space for 2 minutes without attention.

As for the hitting and biting it is fairly common so try not to worry and the best thing to do is just totally ignore it - the more you mention it or draw attentiong to it the more it will happen. It is hopefully one of those (dreaded words coming) phases! Hope it passes soon for you!

[Modified by: MaxiMum+1 on March 01, 2010 09:36 AM]

• Hi, I'm wondering if its an age thing?? As shea hasn't started hurting himself but trying to hurt me (he's 29months). He's never shown any agression before but now when you tell him no, or he gets frustrated he'll either shove me away or try and pull my hair or nip my face.

I'm quite mortified by this as he's always been so gentle and I'm not sure what to do either.

sorry can't be much help but will watch this post for infor too

take care
    xx