Forum home Toddlers & older children Tantrums & behaviour

TANTRUMS PLEASE HELP!!

Hi ladies, hoping you can give me a bit of advice, here goes: My LO is 22 months old and has just started hitting me and having a tantrum. If he gets told off he he gives a dirty disgusted look (which he has picked up off me i'm ashamed to say) then starts throwing himself about and hitting me. I have been going down to his level when i tell him off and making sure he is looking at me and I have his attention before telling him off, but he simply gives me the disgusted look and then hits me. I tell him not to hit as it's very naughty and make him say sorry but he does it again. He is now hitting our poor dogs as well. I dont know where he has picked up hitting from as neither myself nor his dad has ever hit him and none of our family ever would, and he doesn't go to nursery. I dont want to hit him to tell him off as this teaches him it's ok to hit someone if they make you mad. He also walks round flinging his arms about afterwards and seems to be 'in a mood' for up to 15 minutes after he has been told off. any suggestions on how to tame him? is it worth trying the naughty step at his age?

any suggestions will be a huge help :\?

Sammi
xxx

Replies

• hi my daughter is 2 1/2 and i started her on the naughty step prob about your sons age, tho i'm lucky to say i didn't have to use it too often, oohh how times have changed lol! It does work for us, she does battle now she is older to stay on it but i wouldn't have to use it more than 3 lots of 2min until she apologises... they are so stubborn and really just testing the limits but it is hard when you have a day of just naughty/challenging behavior.
    have you tried saying no then walking away and not playing with him for 2min? or this is a new one this wk in our house toy confiscation... so far soo good! goodluck
  • i am going to parentzone classes today to learn different ways of dealing with behaviour. not that she is that bad anymore we cut e numbers out of her diet. not completely but we dont give her aspartame (which all sugar free juices contain) for the amount of juice she has in a cup i am giving her hi-juice and she dosnt have calpol we have changed to disprol. she is an angel in comparison she never hits anymore she wants kisses and cuddles all the time. its lovely. will let u all know what i learn on these classes! xx
  • Hi hun, that could have been me writing that post, Isaac is exactly the same he doesnt hit so much as pinch though and he has just started doing this high pitched scream which is so loud it goes right through you. If he hits or pinches then I just say no loudly and firmly and sit him down, I do have to do it several times before he gets the message though. I honestly dont think a naughty step would work with Isaac just yet as I dont hink he would get it, but you have to try what works for you. Good luck and remember it is only a phase, he will grow out of it, then by the time he's 12 (like my eldest) you will be wishing you were back at the tantrum stage becuase believe me it is sooooo much easier. xx