Forum home Toddlers & older children Tantrums & behaviour
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

Head Banging!

Does anyone else's LO head bang when they are cross or trying to get you attention? Matthew does it esp if he is fed up or cross. I guess it's just a phase but i hope he grows out of it soon. He also bites sometimes when he gets cross or if i'm not giving him enough attention. (Sounds like a right monster, but he's not that bad really!) What do you ladies do if your LO head bangs or bites (or other?)
Thanks,
Juliette :\)

Replies

• you LO is the same as my daughter down to a T lol she does the same things, im hope it is a phases, she is 13 months, how old is your LO x
  • Hi Hayley+1+bump
    Matthew is 14.5 months. What do you do when your daughter head bangs etc? I just try to ignore or just give him 'a look' !!
  • i do the same, i try to look away or if i do look at her id just sake my head at her unless she has hurt herself, trying not to make a huge deal out of it, but its hard x
  • my friend is going through the headbanging thing with her lo who is about 15 months old. i found an article about it for her online. basically you should try to distract before lo gets too angry or if you can't distract, ignore! when they are not getting a reaction out of you, it'll stop. also with the biting thing, prob best not to bite back as he will think it is ok to do it to you. best to move him away from you and tell him calmly but firmly 'that hurts mummy'. also try to distract before the bite if you can see it coming!! good luck. p.s i found the baby wisperer Tracy Hogg a gem of knowledge on this sort of stuff.
  • My oldest daughter used to head bang and it is really hard to ignore as she used to bang her head against the marble fireplace and i was convinced that she would knock herself out. In the end i just used to lift her away from it and try to cuddle her, if that didnt work (which it didnt always) I used to put her in her cot for a few minuites as when she had a tantrum it was really quite explosive and I knew that she couldnt hurt herself in her cot. She did grow out of it.

My 3 year old bites and normally now i can see shen she going to and say no quite loud that usually shocks her out of it.

Isaac doesnt do anything yet, he is so laid back it is unreal but I'm sure he is just lulling me into a false sense of security and will be a complete monster when he gets going.

Julliette how are you doing, is Matthew walking yet, Isaac has just started cruising round the furniture but is not showing any signs of walking alone yet, he is such a lazy boy:lol:
  • Thanks for your advice ladies. So far the biting is getting better as i make a uh-uh noise if i see he's going to do it. When he bites just cos he's excited i just say a no, or 'no biting' cos i know he's not doing it to be bad then. If he does bite in a temper i sit him away from me and turn my back on him.
    We ignore his head banging and so far that seems to work. He has done it a bit hard sometimes but i guess he needs to learn that it will hurt too.

Hi Hayley I
    Good to hear from you. I guess Isaac has his siblings to get things for him, so why should he need to walk LOL! Matthew started doing a few steps to me at the start of May and then a few weeks later the light just seemed to switch on and he was off. He's doing really well - good eating and sleeping - just a few issues with tantrums and wriggling/moaning a lot at nappy change time!
  • ha ha nappy changes are a complete nightmare, Isaac just will not stay still, considering he doesnt walk he can really motor when he crawls and even when he doesnt try to crawl away he just bangs his legs up and down making it impossible to get the nappy on straight. He does have his older siblings to get things for him but I love tiny shoes and the way isaac is going his feet will be a size 10 before he walks lol.
  • Oh bless him. I'm sure he'll be walking soon...then you'll wish he wasn't LOL!!!!
  • hiya Lewis head bangs and i thought it was strange as he sometimes just sits with his back against the wall and bangs his head not hard but he is still banging it! my neigher is a child something or another lol and she says it likes when they touch something hot they will always touch it again, like there checking its hurting them and she also said that its a way of relieveing there stress lol

Lewis must have loads of stress he leads such a hectic life and the amount of girlfriends he has is unreal lol

Lewis is also a little biter, and i do try to ignore it but it seems every time he does it a get a shock and then i react like oh that was sore or i shriek and he laughs! he hasn't actually drew blood or anything he just seems to like kinda bite litely (just now) and then he laughs, kids there little buggers lol
  • hello all, been a while since i came on here. i had this problem when my son was about a year old too, he was out of it after 3 months im pleased to say but was most upsetting at the time. he use to do it on his cot. because it was winter i put his winter hat on which was padded and i realised it didnt make a noise and he stopped. I used to pick him up but as soon as he was back in his cot he'd do it again. I tried speaking to him or singing but nothing really worked. Sometimes i let him get on with it and after a couple of minutes he either stopped or i could handle it no more ! im afraid i cannot give an exact 'help' as all different things worked at different times. Boredom comes into too i think a bit as my son is a 'doing' boy who picks things up straight away, and although he had cot toys, he knew what they did and was familiar with them. try giving your babies something different when they do it, a tumble dryer ball is always good but just keep an eye on them and i hope it all works for you too. good luck x
  • Does anyone else's LO head bang when they are cross or trying to get you attention? Matthew does it esp if he is fed up or cross. I guess it's just a phase but i hope he grows out of it soon. He also bites sometimes when he gets cross or if i'm not giving him enough attention. (Sounds like a right monster, but he's not that bad really!) What do you ladies do if your LO head bangs or bites (or other?)
    Thanks,
    Juliette :\)

When mine gets in a strop has falls flat on his face screaming and kicking his legs.

I just leave him to it, because he doesnt want to know anyone or anything when he gets himself into one