Forum home Toddlers & older children Tantrums & behaviour

My 2 1/2 YO Temper Tantrums At Night

Hi ladies,
as you probably have all experienced our LOs like to go through phases lately my oldest son cameron has mastered the art of potty training lol am so proud of him as his moved onto the toliet completley now and decided that he wants to be clean at night too. it has been about 4 - 5 weeks now and we havent had ine accident or wet bed, so not much to complain about! lol. but his discovered that everywhere we go has a toilet so he likes to check them out , over the past 3 days as soon as i go to walk out of his room at night he screams that he needs the toilet although he has just sat on it for ages before going to bed. i have ignored him every night but the screaming goes on for hours so loud he has nearly lost his voice!. he has a lindam flexigate on his door as he recently started sneaking in with us (we have 12 week old in swinging crib so was worried about him trying to get him out) but sat night he learned to climb it! so no more gate! last night when he woke up at 4.30 we shut our door(hoped ignoring would work) so he was in small hallway with all doors shut screaming and banging for two whole hours and when we opened the door to go down stairs he stoped crying smiled and said morning mummy,daddy! lol couldnt believe it! we have had reapeat tonight took 2 hours to go to sleep opened the toilet door in the end so he could sit on it until he was bored!
lost for ideas now oh leaves at 6am so needs his sleep and alfie is gettin disturbed any ideas? tips??
tanksx x x

Replies

• Not much help I'm afraid as we are still in the very early stages of potty training (Millie sits on it with a book but is yet to work out what it is for!) but is he maybe worried about not being able to get to the toilet at night? Perhaps if you put a potty in his room then he would be reasured enough to go to sleep. Sorry I can't be more help but didn't want to r&r
    Kerry xx
  • hi iv got a 2 1/2 dose the same iv put a potty in his room and dose he scream iv had to take my 1 year old out of his room as he could not sleep super stickes are working at the monment and he gets 5 p for every one and we take him to town on the weekend to get things but do it thought out the day as well they soon want more stickers i done my own chart on thing that i know that he dose every with no help add things that i relly want to stop so he dose not fill that he has failed my child loves it and dose thing like trys to sweep up then say can i have a sticker i did a good job which makes my lol or takes his plate to the kitchen. but the screaming well it take a child 2 to 3 weeks to learn a new routien and it might be hell for them weeks but think you can sleep with out noise in 3 weeks but you have to be carm and when he sreams leave him for 20 mins then go to his room just say it bed time know and ill see you in the morning and nothing else dont answer anthing you child say as it more time they can worm around you keep doing it every 20 min they soon give up my child sreamed for 4 hours befor now 20 mins screaming and then he gives up but you have to do it every day with out fail and try to not show the your child is getting to you as a child know and they will use it agenst you the more carm you are the child the react of of our felling
    hope this helps
    and you said you have a new born well you could start controld crying at this age my child sleeped all night from 2 weeks old and dont run everytime the scream give your new born about 10 mins now my child is one when he get up in the morning he justs sits there and plays antill i get him and you dont have to get up to screaming which is not nice you child will not depend no you and will find other thing to do insted of crying. if you want any other help
    you can contact me at kaseylampert2005@yahoo.com

[Modified by: kasey on June 03, 2008 02:25 PM]