Forum home Toddlers & older children Tantrums & behaviour
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

Hitting herself.....

Hi Girls

Just a quick question, Lucy has started hitting herself on the side of her head when she's frustrated and upset, how do i stop her?! When she started doing it i told her no and held her hands down so she couldn't do it. Now i'm trying ignoring it to see if that works, no avail so far! Just wondering if anyone has any suggestions as to how to handle it? She's 12 months. Thanks in advance x

Replies

• I would say the best things to do is to ignore it or use distraction techniques, like holding a toy out for her.

I wouldn't hold her hands down as this will draw attention to it and may upset her more. It's how she's expressing her anger & frustration. She will get frustrated with a lot of things now she's entering toddlerhood. Unless she's hurting herself there wont be a problem. Sooner or later she will stop doing it once she can do more things for herself and isn't so frustrated.

My lo is nearly 2, and still will headbutt the floor sometimes if frustrated or having a tantrum. Unless she's on a hard floor I leave her to get it out of her system.
  • Thanks for your reply, i'll carry on with trying to ignore it and just hope it stops soon. It's awful seeing them so frustrated isn't it. I'll keep some distraction toys close at hand too x
  • maddie used to dfo this too. apperntly babies do this when they have a head/ear ache! Maddie did it when she was frustrated too but she stopped after a week or so. hopefully Lucy will just stop by herself!
  • Fingers crossed she seems to be doing it less since i've been ignoring her. I can see her looking for a reaction from me and i just turn my head away. Here's hoping she stops soon x