Forum home Toddlers & older children Tantrums & behaviour
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

pre-school aggression problems

My little one started nursery/pre school yesterday he turned 3 in June. Yesterday he was brilliant and today he was happy for me to leave. When I returned to get him the teacher pulled me aside and said he had a few incidents today of hitting another child unprovoked. I am really struggling to deal with this as he has never before shown any signs of aggressive behaviour. In fact he is a lot smaller than the rest of the children and previously at toddlers he was the one who was picked on. He doesn't see anything like this going on at home. When he is with is he is a loving and very affectionate child. I really don't know what to do am feeling such a failure as a parent at the moment and am dreading the rest of the week.

Any advice would be appreciated. Thank you.

Replies

• Options
    Sorry hunny - I don't know what to suggest.

Maybe have a chat to the nursery nurse about it, and ask their advice? Maybe also ask them what happened just before the incident, (I know they said it was unprovoked - but what exactly was going on?) Maybe your LO was feeling a bit anxious at the time.

Personally I don't think children ever hurt each other for "no reason" I think it's far more likely that there is a reason, but we just didn't notice what it was. (IYSWIM?)

Good luck, and try not to stress about it. He's not the first - and he wont be the last!
    Nx
  • Options
    Agree with nikkiandneil here - I would say to Nursery (if you haven't already) exactly what you said in your post. Make it clear that you have never seen this behaviour at home, or when playing with friends. Ask them how they dealt with it and tell them that if you ever witness this sort of behaviour out of nursery in the future you will deal with it the same way (so he has a consistent approach).

I would also have a conversation with your 3yr old about what happened, explain simply and gently that he is not allowed to hit other children, and tell the nursery that you have had this conversation with him.

Then see how it goes!

• Options

HI there 

we had this too, our son started nursery around 2 and a half. He settled in well but then started pushing, hitting and kicking completely unprovoked. The nursery staff said it was completely random and never over a toy. 

does your son have a speech delay at all? Ours does and we think that it's down to his difficulty to communicate. 

Since his speech has improved this behaviour has too.