Forum home Toddlers & older children Tantrums & behaviour

Hitting and pushing

I am at my wits end! My little boy is 2 years and 2 months. Whenever we go to toddler groups he pushes over any child who is younger than him, and thinks it's really funny to hit other children. I tell him off, make him apologise and have time-out. What else can I do? I spend all my time apologising to other mothers about his behaviour. I feel that i should just keep him at home.

Replies

• Hi hun, i can totally sympathise my ds was similar to this when he was around 2. We basically did the smae as you and he is now a very happy well behaved 3 year old. Children arent born with the communication skills to play happily and share things with other kids they have to learn this and dont worry he will. your doing a fab job x x
  • My son used to do this too and I felt like staying at home but my HV said that was worst thing could do - lo will only learn social skills by being with other children. They have a lot to learn and it takes time - you are doing the right thing, but once he has apologised try not to give him too much more attention regarding that incident. At one point my HV told me to just remove my son from the other child without talking to him so he was not getting any attention for inappropriate behaviour, I used to hold him for a couple of minutes and then talk to him. You could even go to say sorry to the other child after that. It did seem to help with my son.
    Just remember social skills are very difficult - I teach in reception and at 4&5 a lot of the children still find it very hard to take turns and share.
    So don't worry and don't stop going out.

Alison xx