Forum home Toddlers & older children Tantrums & behaviour
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

throwing food

Got a problem with Charlotte messing about with her food and throwing it around, not just dropping it. I leave her to feed herself most of the time now as if I try to feed her she will refuse the food and get fussy.

I try and leave her to it rather than sit watching her. However, she is now taking this an an oppurtunity to mess about - to make a complete mess. Even with a mess mat down it's starting to get bad. She flicks food everywhere, either with fork/spoon but mainly her fingers. Yogurt up the walls, tomato pips everywhere, the list goes on. I'm fed up of having a major clean up after every meal.

I do not react to her messing about - like I've been told to by hoards of people. Trouble is I'm now thinking cos I don't react she thinks it's ok to do this. Do I tell her off or what?!

Not sure what to do, so any advice appreciated, thanks.

Replies

• my son did this and it drove me crazy! more so when it was things that stained! messy mats are never quite big enough are they!

i also leave him to it as he doesnt let me feed him either. i tried ignoring it (doesnt work!) so now i make him help clean it up and i dont let him leave the room till he does!
    i find now that he has to help pick food up instead of playing (which he would much rather be doing after a stint in the highchair) he almost never does it, in fact i cant remeber the last time he did!

but as long as your lo can walk and pick things up, they are more than capable of helping, so dont be put of thinking they are to young to help like my oh did the first few times!
  • My DD has been known to do this and, like Charlotte, won't be fed anymore. I tend to just sit at the table with both of the children but don't make any attempt to feed her (DS is 4 so well beyond needing mummy's help lol!) If she starts to throw then I move the plate away and say 'no thankyou, that's not nice' When she settles down, I give the plate back to her and we carry on. It's time consuming but working well for us. I also get them both to help me clear up afterwards, especially if it's been a messy meal! They love 'loading' the dishwasher. Always needs re doing but it's a start in them helping out with chores lol!!
  • I've never thought about getting her to help me clear up. Not too sure if it would help but would give it a try - you don't know until you've tried do you?! She does help me tidy toys and other things away, and helps me clean (wipes things!), so I'll give it a go. I'm always tidying up around her whilst she eats!