Forum home Toddlers & older children Tantrums & behaviour
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

Toddler Biting / Pinching

Hi All,

I am writing for some advice. I have a gorgeous 18 month old little girl who is generally a delight to be with. She has recently started pinching me, often when she is frustrated, but sometimes for no apparent reason. She knows she shouldn't do it; and even says "No, no, no," as she does it. I have tried being very firm and saying no, even giving her time out in her room. The strategy I found that works the best is to totally ignore it, although I always put her down and walk away. But today she was giving me a big hug and she bit me really hard on my shoulder. I was really shocked, and put her in her room for a minute so we could both calm down. She did come and out give me a cuddle, but later at the park she pinched me again (when she wasn't allowed another snack, so prob out of frustration.)
Has anyone else had similiar probs and what tactics have you used?
She gets lots of positive attention!

Thanks,

Replies

• Options
    My son picked up biting/pinching from another chidl at nursery and he's been a bugger for it at times. He usually does it when tired/frustrated tbh, but its still not acceptable. I put him in the corner for a minute or so and then tell him why and ask him to say sorry - and when he does it at nursery they tell him off and make him sit in the corner for a minute or two. He's definately better than he was - it helps that the child who was causing trouble at nursery has moved up into another room I think too though - but I just try and keep an eye on him when hes tired and wound up and try and stop before he starts.

I'm just hoping he'll grow out of it!
  • Options
    Thanks....my little one's not at nursery but she does go to lots of playgroups and spends lots of times with others. You're right though, it usually seems to be tirednedd or frustration. We think it started when my MIL was staying. My little one got v over excited and went for her a few times and she laughed rather than told her off. Does your son stay in the corner if you put him there?! I find that my daughter just howls and follows me, so at least if I put her in her room she has to stay put for a while.
    So hoping this stage passes quickly; am finding it pretty upsetting!
  • Options
    Carrie nips/pinches and when I tell her off she does it to herself - I used to get quite upset by it and tell her not to - then one day as she was pinching herself saying "nip Carrie" over and over I said "if you like" - now she says "Nip Carrie if you like" over and over

She most definitely does it when tired or frustrated or in pain (teeth)

I now ignore it altogether and it passes quite quickly - it doesnt happen too often though
    xxx
  • Options
    Um..sometimes he stays int he corner, sometimes he tries to sneak out and i have to put him back several times then he'll lie there and cry. He always stays put at nrusery though. It is upsetting isn't it - i hate to think of cole biting anyone else at nursery although its usually over a toy and usually late in the afternoon when he's tired and fortunately he seems to only bite the clothes cause I'd hate for anyone to think he's allowed to get away with stuff like that.

Nursery had a problemw ith all the kids figthing and biting and stuff (one kid caused it and she was a little shit!) and they just watched them so closely and jumped on them and seperated them at the first sign of grumpiness and after about a week or so they got things calmed down - helped that the problem girl was on holiday. They don't tell you who has bitten your child and stuff but I figured it out anyway - she's into everythign and cole who isn't afraid of anyone or anything cried and wouldn't go near her whenever she was there in a morning but the days she wasn't in nursery he went off quite happily.