Forum home Toddlers & older children Tantrums & behaviour

headbutting

wasnt sure what to put this under! isaac has started headbutting the floor or wall when hes angry, i dont think it hurts him or he wouldnt do it (would he????), but it is leaving angry red marks on his head. what do i do? do i leave him to outgrow the phase, try and stop him doing it (or would that make him do it more?) or any other suggestions?!

Replies

• Hi

I have three nephews and two of them have done this. They were covered in brusies quite often on their heads from headbutting the wall! My brother and sister in law were mortified about what people would think of all the bruises.

I have no kids of my own but they found that when they tried to stop them they started to do it more, with the second one they left him and it never got as bad as with the first who they tried to stop - not sure if that will help as I know they found it so hard to leave them when they knew they were hurting themselves.
  • Tate did this Claire, I was told to ignore, it was v.v.hard but did the trick as they do seem to do it for attention. Hope he stops soon as its very distressing xx
  • my daughter did this 2 and to reassure you, she has grown out of it, and hasn't suffered any permant damage.  It is hard but the best thing to do is ignore it.

• hi hun,

weirdly my hubby did this and still does, and both my girls do it. It is really hard to ignor esp when he is trying butt them as a game. (the're a strange lot). Anyway I have heard a theroy that it is cleverness that causes it. Esp if they want to communicate something and cant. I.e the mind is racing ahead of the childs ablilties. I like the theroy though it doesny explain why my husband still does it! haha hes not that bad really!

But yeah as everyone else has said just ignor it!