Forum home Toddlers & older children Toddler
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

Naughty Big Sister

Hi there,

My eldest girl has become really agressive with her little brother and sister. Pushing, pulling, hitting, laying on them, i havnt noticed any biting yet but its only a matter of time. I have tried shouting her name to distract her but its like a red mist decends on her. The only way i can get her to stop is by grabing hold of her  and shouting at her. image I have tried putting her out of the room, she just plays elsewhere like nothing happened. Ive tried tapping her hand but that makes no difference. Ive tryed the whole getting down to her level, and telling her its naughty and how is not right for her to hurt her brother and sister. In my darkest moment, when she had given her sister a scratch all down her face i put her over my knee and smacked her nappy with the hope that it would shock her enough to not do it again. It didnt.

She was supposed to have surgery on friday last week, but because of a chest infection it was cancelled. Hopefully it means we can have a less stressfull christmas, but she seems to have gone from bad to worse and i cant control it.

Has anyone else had this problem.

Sally

Replies

• Options
    I think even when she goes off and plays when you take her away, although it might look like she is not bothered you could try take a favourite toy of her as punishment, I used to tell isabelle she could have "mr Hugsworth" back in half an hour. And it used to get to her loads o eventually she stopped. And I think praising her loads and giving her cuddles when she is being good might be the way through. I know myself you think when they are quite great can get things done but thats why mine sometimes play up just to get attention.
  • Options

hiya Sally too! long time no chat. we must see some pics of the kiddies they must be growing up so fast!

Agree with Mel, its typical behaviour, tate this afternoon has been pushing luka over, he pulled him off the sofa, constantly snatches toys off him, so they all do it. i really tell him off and he cries he hates mummy being angry with him, he then gives luka 'kissy cuddle' we call it and says sorry and he says sorry to me....but will then do it again. its their age im sure!

• Options

Sorry to hear about that but maybe she just feels like she isn't the center of attention anymore, you know how kids are it gotta be about me me me, lol,lol,lol

But i do hope she stops doing that to her sibblings and you seem to be implementing some sort of ground rules, maybe try punishing her more, its hard to get your kids to understand not to do that but kids are smart and they know when they are doing something wrong - just be patient with her and stick to your rules and hopefully in time things will turn around image

• Options

Hi Sally,

You have a similar age gap as I do (I have a 2 year old boy, and 1 year old twin girls).  When my toddler misbehaves with his sisters I immediately give lots of attention to the girls and praise them for being good.  I try to remember to praise him too, at times when he's playing nicely with them, so he doesn't only get attention from me when he's being naughty.