Forum home Toddlers & older children Toddler
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

what do you think of this suggestion??

okay so nursery is closed now until Jan 5th and i'm supposed to be working til xmas eve and hubby finishes tomorrow. Anyway MIL and FIL were due to have lo until oh finishes but oh is ill with sickness bug!!! So my sister had SHea for afternoon yesterday but for some reason he won't go to the toilet there!! and walked out the door last night for him to wet himself straight away in the outside at -5!!! So there was NO way he was going there all day to day to hold his pee!! Plus he hates my sisters dog!!

So I decided to take the day off work. I was honest with boss and offered to take the day unpaid but she's not happy, even tho work is very quiet at the mo. So she wants to send her 16year old daughter to my house to babysit while I go into work!!!!!! WTF?? She has NEVER met her snotty nosed daughter in his life and I know if I left him with her it would totally freak him out and i'm not prepared to do it!! No money or job in the world is important enough to put my gorgeous boy in an uncomfortable position!!!

Am I wrong?? what would you guys have done?? I know my boss will be a complete bitch now!! Where the good will and christmas spirit gone??

So shea and I are having a cosy day in the warm watching christmas films!!!

xxx :x :x :x :evil:

Replies

• No way I would be happy leaving mine with a 16 year old who I didn't know or who he didn't know so I think you've done the right thing.

I've had so much time off since I've been back off maternity leave due to the boys being ill & then oh did his back in and couldn't even get to the toilet unaided let alone look after a 10 month old & 3 year old, though luckily my bosses are really understanding.
  • Oh dear. What a cow.

these things happen and your work should be far more understanding than that. I think you've done exactly what I would do. Honestly, imagine suggesting sending her daughter who you've never even met to babysit.

Have a lovely duvet day hun. s x
  • Lara is right, the resposibility of looking after a toddler for a 16 year old is massive. My sister is 15, and there is no way on this earth I'd allow her to babysit Louis and Theo!!

So I totally don't blame you for saying no to a complete stranger watching your LO.

Surely she doesn't have much choice does she? Something to do with your rights as a parent?

See below website; http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Employment/Employees/Timeoffandholidays/DG_10026555

Good luck with the boss anyway! xx
  • thanks girls, I know there is nothing she can do about it and these things happen but and she knows it too but she still likes to exert her little bit of power over us and makes work difficult for a few days once you've had time off!! Thankfully I only have day and half left before christmas!!!

Its been a mixed bag for me and Shea today so far, thinking of Lara earlier and losing patience with lo!! So far he's managed to get a cd stuck in my pc and seems to have broken the DVD player and we've just completed an almighty tantrum cause I wouldn't let him walk around the house with a red chenile blanket over his head so he could be a ghost!! He can't see a damn thing thru it and its far too long and he'll go flying into something!!

On a plus note we've watched Home Alone 2 and Toy Story!!!

imageimage
  • Ooooh love Home Alone!! haha!

Louis refuses point blank to allow me to watch anything non-Cbeebies related today.

If I attempt to change the channel to watch the news, he has an almighty tantrum!!!

I know how you ladies feel about almost losing it, when they push those buttons that normally you can cope with... but on a bad day you want to scream! :roll: xx
  • oh I get fed up with the kids tv too!! Some days we seem to have kids channels on all day long!! I haven't a clue whats going on in the real world!!

Naughty mummy I know but its too cold to go anywhere and i'm really not in the mood today to be doing messy play etc so Shea can watch as much tv as he wishes!!!!!
  • Just seen this but I can't believe she'd suggest that - surely the reason you can't go into work because you have no appropriate childcare, not that you can't find a complete stranger to dump your child on, which is what she's suggesting you do! That's appalling, of course you shouldn't have taken her up on it. In such circumstances she has to be understanding, and it's only one day isn't it!

I'm a SAHM and still joining you in struggling today - my two year old actually said to me this morning 'I can't stop whinging'!
  • thats sooo funny Sunflower!! :lol::lol:

DS will usually just say to me I'm really moody mum!! No Sh** Sherlock!!!

I did feel like saying to her, you might have dumped your kids on strangers but I don't!!!
  • we call Shea a "drama Queen"!! all the time!! The films will come Lara, he only got interested about 3 years

I think I am now going to trottle him!! He just decided he wanted to take his clothes off and took an arm thru his neck hole and got stuck but didn't want me to help. Screaming at me to go away!!! So I'm trying to get his arm back thru and he's shouting at me Your hurting me!!! The bedroom window was open and people walking past so I expect child line to be called now!!! he now currently sulking sitting naked under the christmas tree!!!

I'M GOING BACK TO WORK TOMORROW!!!!! :x :x
  • Haha, I call Louis a drama queen!! He just smiles at me!!

We don't have the disney channel, so we are stuck with Cbeebies, which repeats the morning's TV in the afternoon... boooorrrrrrriiiiiinnnnnnng!!!!!

But, like I said - tantrums if I try and change the channel!

Louis is 22 months and I was hoping he'd sit and watch a disney film, (you know like Lion King or something with lots of music) but nope. He just turns the DVD player off and demands Igg-Pigg.

When its this cold out, and places start to close down in the run up to Christmas, I'm afraid I'm running out of indoor activities for Louis.

There is only so much colouring and painting we can do!!! xx
  • omg that's awful! i had to leave JJ with my 15 year old sister for half an hour on saturday and i was soooo worried, i text her twice :lol: there's no way i'd leave him with a 16 year old stranger!! x