Forum home Toddlers & older children Toddler
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

Pull ups?

Hey,

Just wondering what you think to pull ups vs nappies?

The boys are an absolute nightmare to change, and on my own it can sometimes take 30mins+ just to get new nappies on them both. They hate laying on their backs, and the other is always happy to provide distraction which makes them even more reluctant to lay still! Ive tried distractions. Their drink cups worked for a while, but now they can lift the cups themselves while sitting, theyre not interested in drinking laying down, and toys just do not work as they only ever seem to want what the other has!

I was thinking of trying pull ups. Do you think these will make it easier. They are changed twice a day, unless they have pooed. Do pullups work as well as nappies? Are they a lot more expensive? How easy are they to get off? The boys are happy to have a nappy off while standing, which is what I tend to do, its putting it on that is the problem.

Thanks

Gemma, Ryan and Alfie 14 months

Replies

• I found pullups as a nappy alternative a pain tbh - but then I only had one child to change lol! We bought some before potty training as we were going camping and thought they'd be easier but they weren't. When I used to change Cole I'd never take his trousers off properly - just pull to his ankles and hold them when cleaning him up so partly it was a faff to actually have to strip his bottom half to put fresh pullups on. As for how easy they are to get off - depends on the make I think. Huggies have tabs all down the sides so easy to do/undo and if you are like me and use the sticky tabs to roll up nappies thats handy. Asdas pullups dont have sticky tabs so if you want to take them off nappy style you have to rip them off. My mum got boots pullups for cole at her house and I don't think they had sticky tabs either but they do have a sticky tab bit on the back so you can roll up the nappy and stick it closed if that makes sense.

The pullups are more expensive - Cole still wearst hem at night only and we had loads so haven't bought any for a while but just bought 2 packs of 20 (size 5s) from boots for ??8 on offer, huggies a pack of ummm 20 maybe are around ??6. Asdas ones were cheaper and we mainly used them but I'm not sure on price as they've changed their pack size and offers since I last bought a pack.

I remember the wiggly nappy change stage well.. I used to sit sideways to Cole by the change mat (on the floor) and just put my leg over him (not pressing down of course, but just over him so he couldn't wiggle away or sit up) and change him that way - itw as a bit awkward but he couldn't go anywhere.

Pullups don't hold as much as nappies we found though, so you'll probably have to change them more I'd have thought - especially if you get away with only a couple of changes a day at the mo. I'd have saved a fortune if I got away with that with Cole lol..boy can pee for England!! He was still on a good 8-10 changes a day right hte way through
  • Hi hun.

I used pull ups on H for a while - I found them much easier (if he was in the mood) as I would change him standing up and I knew the pull ups were "done up" correctly whereas with normal nappies sometimes they can be wonky if he is trying to get away from me.

I've not bought any recently as they leaked quite often ... but I wonder if it is a boy thing as my friend uses them on her little girl and has no problems. She did tell me tho that Asda own do special "boys" ones so I will probably give them a go when I next go to Asda.

HTH

K x
  • I do use pull ups. but only really in the morning when Skye gets up as she certainly won't lie back down and keep still for a nappy change when she's only just up LOL!!

And as the other girls say, it's far easier when changing standing up to use nappies as I don't have to strip her right down. Also we do not find them anywhere near as absorbant as normal nappies tbh. We only use pull ups occasionally, but my Mum finds them useful as she has a fractured wrist at the mo, so can't cope with doing up normal nappies!

As Skye is starting potty training I think I will get rid of the pull ups in case she finds them confusing too.

They did have a place though during the wriggly change stage!!
  • I use pull ups for during the day as I found normal nappies a nightmare to get on. My DS wouldn't lie still and I'd end up trying to chase him around the room.

To get the nappy off you just rip the sides, so it's really easy. They are more expensive, so I try to wait for the offers. They aren't as absorbant as Pampers Baby Dry but they are plenty good enough for us during the day and I can easily leave him in it for 5 hours.

In our situation we do have to still lie him down for poo's though, as they are always very messy!

Edited to add - The only negative I've found is that I can't put a pull-up on without taking his trousers and shoes off. So if I'm out and about and what to do a quick change of a wet nappy, I'll revert back to traditional types. HTH xx
  • Pullups for potty training rock.. or at least they did for Cole - took all the stress out of it.

However I say again pullups at night suck! Cole wears them at night still as he's not potty trained at night however he rarely wees and since I went up a size we had no leaks in asdas size 5 or huggies large.. until last night! 2 leaked through pullups! 2!!! I know I was going to change the sheets so they were clean for christmas anyway but thats just ridiculous! And thats coming after he puked in the bath after drinking bathwater and choking!

Last night wasn't a good one lol!