Forum home Toddlers & older children Toddler
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

Refusing to sleep in bed during day.

My daughter is just over 15 months old. She still needs a nap during the day but I'm struggling to get her to sleep in her cot. If we're out and about she'll fall asleep in her car seat or in her pushchair but if we're at home, even though she's tired, she'll cry and sob if I try to get her to sleep in her cot. She'll happily fall asleep on me but it means I can't get anything done and I'm having another baby in July so I don't want her to get into a habit of doing this. I've tried leaving her to cry but not for very long as she gets very upset. The strange thing is she'll happily sleep in her cot at my mums the two days a week she's there.

Has anyone experienced the same thing or does anyone have any recommendations? All help appreciated!

x

Edited to say she goes to sleep in her cot no problems at night time - it's just during the day!

Replies

• IS this a recent thing she started or has she always been this way.

Does your mum do anything different that could maybe help and that you could do at home as she sleeps well there?

My lo used to be a fighter at nap times and it did settle think it was age but i bought a tape player so he can have some soothing music to help relax him to sleep and he knows this is his routine now as if i forget he moans lol (he is similar age)

Could you try staying with her for a bit and trying to settle her with some patting and gradually moving away each day?

• Hi lucyloo,

It's a fairly recent thing - she used to settle just fine. My mum doesn't do anything different but maybe it's the routine. Some days we're at home and other days we're out so there's not a lot of consistency. I'll try your suggestions and see how we go. Thanks! x
  • Ahh i know it so hard fitting in what we need to do and on days not working etc as I do, I more ofetn than not try to be home for my lo nap time so that he gets it as otherwise he a grumpy boy! It pain in a way as i cant be out of house for about 2 hours lol but it gives me time for lunch and tidy/iron or relax befoer my evening shift!

Hope that your lo goes back into nap routine soon x
  • My son is very routine driven and becomes easily out of sorts if he doesnt have one, or if it's not respected. So I built in a routine for his day time nap wind down which reflects his night time one. That meant having story time for his day nap too. The only other thing I do in the day time is I put him in his swing outside for 5 mins to start the wind down (it's summer at the moment where I am though) and then we go in to his room for a story. Im due with DD any day now so I too felt it important to get a routine in place before she arrived. I can now get him down to sleep in about 5 mins as he doesnt even last a whole story - and there is no battle to get him down as he knows it's bedtime. Oh, and the story is the same every day - there are 3 books only for bedtime, day and night. I think this really helped too (someone gave me that advice and it worked a treat for us!)

• Ah i could have written this as my LO has been the same. He will nap at his nannas in the cot and for anyone else but me. If i put him down in his cot he just stands up and crys. I have tried leaving him like you but he just gets so wound up. I have resulted to taking his buggy upstairs jiggling it a bit and then he falls asleep in his buggy quite happily ( as i cannot always be out when its nap time) He has done this for 2 months now although the other day he did nap in his cot for me. So maybe its a phase like everything tyring boundaires and mummys always have to suffer lol xxx
  • Daniel went through this and it was a phase but a horrible one! He stopped sleeping in his pram at 5 or 6 months so if I wanted him to nap would have to take him home, which was a pain! Nothing I did worked; tried the bedtime routine story, wind down time etc, ended up using controlled crying even if it ended up him screaming for an hour before giving in. Suddenly he started sleeping again and was fine for another few months - then he dropped the nap completely. Was a shock to the system I can tell you! Thought I had ages before he did that, but at 23 months he decided no more naps and that was that, its only if we've been out in the car that he falls asleep.

Advice; relish the naps whilst you can!! x