Forum home Toddlers & older children Toddler

What is next after the sippy cup?

Hi everyone,

My LO drinks well from a sippy cup but now he is 15 months, I just wondered should he still be using that or moving to an open cup or straw? There are so many different types of cups, I am bamboozled by what to do next so hope someone can help. I have tried a doidy cup but it didn't really work for us.

Thanks

Replies

• When I buy Riley a new cup I just get one of the Tommee Tippee ones which is relevant to his age. He's never had a problem with any of them and they all have that valve so they don't leak. x
  • My lo has loads of beakers with lids straws etc, but i am already trying to teach himt to sip from his tommee tippee cup, he is 15 mths ish. It just the simple little beaker with 2 handles and i only fill it with little bit and show him how. He does little bit then puts hand in then gets over excited and tips it. But we used to start from around this age for kids at nursery, just slowly and it will take time and hopefully they get used to it! It is harder at home as am in rush sometimes or you dont want spills..
  • I thought it was better not to give cups with valves?
  • My ds is almost 2 and we use the tt sports type cups for him, longer ones with no valve/free flow. He still uses the two handled tt free flow ones too sometimes.

He uses open cups well now and drinks from them with his meals. But for out and about and round the house we use the free flow ones still as he loves pouring water out of open cups when he's finished!! Too hard for him to resist! :roll:
  • omg I am having trouble finding a cup/beaker that Luke who is 16 months does not bite the top of the non spill ones and make it leak, got a new tt beaker with soft spout only last week and it leaks already, he dont like the tt straw ones as the pop up gets in his way, any recomendations would be great.