Forum home› Toddlers & older children› Toddler
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

How old in toddler bed?

I am due number 2 and thinking about LO in a bed, toddler beds suit us in terms of size but will it be pointless? Do they grow out of them quickly? what age are the recommended until?

Be nice if there was a size between toddler and a single (or is there?)

Replies

• Options
    i'm looking at putting ava into a toddler bed when she gets to two in a cl of months. the one we have seen is in john lewis and suitable to age 5 image
  • Options
    ps - the toddelr beds are MUCH lower to the floor so its defo worth it for us as she will still be little when she moves inot her bed!
  • Options
    i've seen 'junior beds' but not sure if they're same size as cotbed/toddler bed...ds still has his sides up (23months)as he doesn't climb ...thinking about switching to covers instead of sleepbag in summer, so doesn't matter too much if he kicks them off, then take sides down once he's got used to that...our cotbed says up to 5, but ds is dinky so will more likely be 6/7
  • Options
    Our Lo is in a cot bed and we've taken sides off, but still got the bed guard up. I cant seem to take it off......im sure he would be fine, but im not ready yet!!

I bought him a duvet which was junior bed sized, which i checked is the same size as a cot bed.......has your LO got a cotbed or is he in a cot? Im assuming not as your thinking of buying a toddler/junior bed.

OH wants to get LO a childs bed so we can use his cotbed for new baby, but i dont want to. Only because i want to buy a new cot with new furniture for baby and its not same colours!! Im hoping his cotbed will last a good few more years yet xxxx
  • Options
    I put DD in a bed at 22 months( she is now 25 months) and it is a single bed but it low on the floor so she can get in and out her self with out falling. I did want to waste my money on a toddler bed only to buy a single bed in a few more years.

Her bed is lovely and she sleeps so much in it then she did her cot.

We have kept the cot up as I am sue in 8 weeks and although baby will be in crib for a few months I did not see the point in taking it down and putting it up again :P

Gem x

31+6
  • Options
    Our lo is 22 months and hes been in his big bed for almost a month, its a bunkbed as hes sharing a room with his big brother, we have still put a bed guard on so he doesnt roll out. He sleeps really well in it both night time and naps.
  • Options
    Ds is just about to go into a bed, we bought a straightforward single bed which is quite low down. Like Gem, we didn't want to fork out on something he would not be using long. We will use a bed guard at first, just to stop him getting out as I am sure he will be a terror! New baby will go into the cotbed eventually!
  • Options
    DD went into a normal single bed around 18 months with a bed guard and she sleeps fine in it. She never gets out of it unless we are in the room prefering just to call out until we go into her. I was sure she'd be out of bed and tearing every book off her shelves but aside from once on the first night (which I blame on OH making me out a nightlight on for her when she has slept in darkness from day one) she has never got out. Oh no wait she once slept walked and got out of bed crying but was technically still sound asleep so I out her back in and wasnt a problem
  • Options
    we have just gone into the bed mode of the cot bed, it is the same as a toddler bed, nice and low, it should last until age 4 with a good matterress, for us as both babies will share we cant fit a single and a cotbed in the room so we are hoping it does last,
  • Options
    Skye's been in a cotbed since about 5 months old or so, and we have recently taken the sides off and converted it to a bed with a guard from Ikea.

We bought an expensive mattress for the cotbed, as we fully intended to use it until around age 4 or 5 to get our money's worth! (no baby number 2 planned)

Looking at Skye in it, and she's average height, I reckon we'll change it to a bed around age 4 most likely. She has a small room so a cotbed that converted was the best option for us, and less distance for her to fall if she did! Think it'll have to be a midi sleeper next so she can play underneath and have storage too. Darn tiny bedrooms!! :lol:
  • Options
    We had this debate just recently... in the end we went for a toddler bed from ikea, wasnt that expensive about 60 quid and we spent the same on a mattress. It has a side rail on and TOUCH WOOD, so far the transition has been easy, our DS hasnt fallen out at all.

We think it should last our son a good couple of years and then we will buy him a proper single and use the toddler bed for our number two that is on the way now.

xxx