Forum home Toddlers & older children Toddler
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

Getting LO to hold my hand

We have 3 sets of reins and LO is not a fan, he still goes in opposite direction and if you try to direct him with them he just drops to the floor.

Sooooo I am trying to get him to hold my hand hhahahahahahahahahahahahahah YEAH RIGHT.

On friday I was at the babyshow so figured most people wouldnt mind if I let him tantrum on the floor haha. I spent 20 mins of saying 'hold mummy's hand' to which he would drop to the floor every single time, I did react just the moment he stood up held his hand again. We must have done this 30 times before he finally walked holding my hand.

He is 16 months and I dont know if I expect too much from him, do your LO's hold your hand happily, when did they start doing this?

Replies

• My lo was a bit of a pain at holding my hand at 16 months and used to drop to the floor, he is now 18 months and is getting better at it but not perfect xx
  • Sam is a big hand holder, but he has a very cautious nature so I think it's for physical and emotional security. He will often look up to find either mummy or daddy's fingers - it's nothing we did, just him. I assume if you perservere your LO will learn he has to?
  • Wow coco we live at polar opposite points with our two! If I let LO run off he would quite happily go 400 metres without turning around, if I wave and say 'bye' he turns around and says 'bye' I have hidden before to see what he does when he thinks I have gone NADA, ZERO, ZILCH.

It has to be personality types..........

Makes me sad sometimes image
  • From she could move, Lorelei has been in a rush to discover the world and woe betide anyone who gets in her way :lol: I highly recommend those littlelife backpacks with a strap- we went through few pairs of reins until came across these and she's quite content with them and I feel much happier about taking her out (she rarely gets into the pram)
  • my son who is 2 is only just getting better with this, he like other babys mentioned is a explorer and i give him alot of freedom in park ect, but make him hold hand near pathway,walking back to car,shop ect. if you perservere he will get it, he ownt like it though! what i do anyway is take pram with me, and if he throws a paddy i put him in pram,simple as that. as its a safety issue, i wont buge on this and i think he is getting it,mummys hand or no walking! in park is different he knows that safe and his freedom but if he ignores me when i call, i put him back in pram or just make him hold me hand to go the way we are going,away from dogs ect.

i have a double pram now as my second due in may,as i think its saves this worry,plus he willl still get tired,cant walk everywhere. i wouldnt worry to much hun,really do think the old say 'they all different' springs to mind, if you are consistent,he will get it.

also my lo goes nursery 2 mornings a week and they hold hands
  • Charlotte is 23 months and as soon as she began walking she always held our hands (well index finger)of her choice nothing we did and quite often will not move until she has a hold, if there are hubby and I both there she insists on holding both hands....however....this changes as soon as we are in a shop or some like, she lets go of the hand and runs off. If you hold her hand and want her to go somewhere she doesnt want to she does just what your lo does and drops to the floor. Didnt mind too much at first as she was smaller and I wasnt pg but now pg and her being a lot more weighty I struggle to carry her so am going to have to resort to having the buggy with me for going to the shops which is a pain as we went months without one. Hence why I bought a double though as I dont wanna be pushing ds and have dd run off and have the question of do I leave ds in pram and run after dd ? No way, safety first no matter how many tantrums !
  • Dont normally post but i had to with this one, my daughter was exactly the same, she is keen to explore and did not want to hold our hand.

She is 17 months and i started taking her for a walk around the block a couple of months ago, i would get her to hold my hand a give her so much praise and then every 100 yards or so i would say 'oh thats such a good girl for holding mummies hand' and she loved it. Yes every now and then she will test it and try to let go and be independant but i stay calm and say could you be a good girl and hold mummies hand and 99% of the time it works. She loves getting praise and i found this really helps image
  • im the same lambchop,i dont want to worry,got me double!
  • My ds was exactly the same and still is at times. I remember posting about this too, probably at a similar stage. He was an early walker and it was a nightmare getting him to hold hands for ages. He was just so keen to go off and explore and not be restrained by me! He also never looks back for me, he will just go off without a backward glance! He is a lot better at holding hands now, they do get better. Think ds was better at about around 20 months. He still has his moments though, but as you say it is just part of their personality! I have a little explorer on my hands! x
  • Lukes not a fan I have got him a rucksack thing which helps alot as he wont hold hand much either, the other day when I thought he would get on his trike he walked home instead of 10 mins it took about 30 mins I just held onto him by his hood of his coat, he hardly realised.