Forum home Toddlers & older children Toddler
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

big bed question

when you move your child into big bed, did you stay with them till fell asleep?

Replies

• Options
    Nope, just left him same as usual. x
  • Options
    No i Just put Livvy in,read her a story,Gave her kisss then went out the room. We had a few tears but she soon went off and has slept so better then in her cot.

Gem x

35+1
  • Options
    no we just did out normal routine
  • Options
    they didnt get out?
  • Options
    No mine didn't at first. If he ever does now he'll knock on the door and shout me so we go up and put him back in bed, otherwise if we leave him to shout he has been known to fall asleep on the floor! x
  • Options
    Livvy has never got out after she has gone to bed. Even in the mornings she don't she just calls "mummy" image

Gem x

35+2
  • Options
    No, we just kept bedtime routine as normal. First few nights he stayed in bed but we then had a few nights of him getting up but once he realised we weren't going to play with him if he got up he stayed in bed.
  • Options
    the first night he thought it was hilarius to get up every few seconds but rarely gets out now,
  • Options
    Are you having troubles with this? Daniel didn't at first (he went into his big bed at 14 months and we kept his routine the same) but a few months later he took ill, once he was better he started getting out of bed - if I could have I would have left him to cry it out and go back to bed but he couldn't climb back into the bed! It was too high. lol. So I had to keep putting him back in for a while until he learnt to use a step to get into bed. Then I ignored him and within a couple of days he was returning to bed and settling himself back to sleep.
  • Options
    no i havent moved him yet but i am just arming myself with info!
  • Options
    we did normal routine, just like we had with her cot.

someone gave us tip of putting stair gate on bedroom door which has been amazing, if she gets up she is safe in her room and realises she can't get further so takes herself back into her bed.

First night she needed to be put back in a few times as she cried a little, then from next night on she stays in her bed just like she did in her cot and goes straight to sleep. She is 22 months and only just moved her.

how old is your LO?
  • Options
    carson is 26 months.x
  • Options
    Can I ask you ladies if you put your little ones in a cot bed or a normal single bed? I'm not sure what age they can go in a normal bed.
  • Options
    We put Livvy in a normal single bed at 23 months and had no problems and she loves her bed image

Gem x

36+3
  • Options
    my sons cot is a cot bed anyway so we will just take bars off when ready
  • Options
    we just changed out cotbed to a bed so its very low, he went in at 13 months x
  • Options
    We put charlotte into a normal single bed with a bedguard on at around 18 months and she was fine. Went to sleep as normal that night, and 6 months on still doesnt get out of bed unless an adult is present she just yells when she wants up.

We kept the routine exactly the same.
  • Options
    Riley was in a cotbed and has just moved into a toddler bed, which is the same size as the cotbed and the same height so not too much of a fall if he falls out! He's never had a bedguard, so has fallen out a handful of times but is getting better at not. He always gets out in the morning and bangs on the door shouting me when he's awake. x