Forum home Toddlers & older children Toddler
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

chid ill

my little girl got really ill last weekend and was addmited to the childrens ward over night i stayed with her and it was her first time in hospital since she was born and she was ok and had no problems yet   she had a high temprature of 44.4 and had a drip in her arm the staff were great could'nt have done more its me it was horrible seeing her in there with the drip in her arm and just the thought  that it might happen again is terrifying me i dont want her to get that ill again and have been even more coutas and protective as before the results came back she was fine just an infection but i am still very cautious i clean her bedding evey week before but now doing it nearly every day

Replies

• When Arthur was a few days past his first birthday,he was very ill.He had a chest infection,the antibiotics weren't working,I just took him to casualty expecting them to tell me I was wasting their time,but they  admitted him,did blood tests and a chest xray,and put him on a drip which was for antibiotics and fluids cos he wasn't drinking.He was very ill and it was horrible seeing him with the drip in,I think the worst bit was holding him still to get it in and having to do that again because it came out.

When he came home I can remember being very overprotective.He'd gone from being just unwell to seriously ill in a couple of days and I thought it was maybe something I didn't do in time that made him so ill so the next time he had a cough I took him straight to the GP just in case.Of course it was nothing but the GP was very nice and he just said that some babies just do get ill,chest infection in our case,and they just need to be in hospital.He also said he'd probably never be that ill again,and he was absolutely right. Didn' t stop me checking on him in the night and putting the monitor back in his room even though it was right next door to our room.

It takes a while to get your confidence back in a way.Children can get very sick,very quick,but they also recover very quick.I can understand the overprotective thing,I was very guilty of that.I'm sure it was nothing you did that made your baby sick.Certainly once a week is plenty often enough to wash your baby's bedding.

Hope your baby's feeling much better now and well on the road to recovery.

Hope you're feeling better soon too,it is a hoorible thing to see your baby so sick.

• hi it was horrible seeing her like that she is a lot better now and back at nursery  getting there my self  they said it was just an infection the antibiotices did  wonders for her and just about back to normal after that horible week I'm a clean freek any way just that bit more cleaner now as dont want her getting that bad again she has been ill before but this was the worst of them all