Forum home Toddlers & older children Toddler

He won't eat his fruit

Hi my 3 year old son has just started refusing to eat any fruit im getting increasingly frustrated as he says i don't like it when i know he does!

Any  advice would be fab. Jayne xx

Replies

• Hi,Jayne.My now 5 year old refused to eat any fruit think he was about two,despite having eaten it all his life before then.It went on for a while,so I just gave him loads of veg to compensate,but for his lunch I'd give a little plate with a few different foods,like a mini buffet,he's always liked salad which helped,and included a little chopped up apple,some raisins,but made no comment when the fruit was left and eventually he decided himself to try some and he liked it.Apple was then the only fruit he'd eat till a few weeks ago he told me he liked bananas now "because I am  5".Now he's eating packed lunch at school,he sees his friends eat  things and he's a lot more willing to try,and often likes new things.

As long as you make sure your son's still getting his 5 a day,dried fruit counts if he'll eat that,don't worry too much.Small children can be fussy and if it's going to cause upset at mealtimes I'd still offer fruit,but try and avoid  it becoming an issue and allow your little boy to decide for himself.

Oh,smoothies are a good way of disguising fruit,or maybe a puree or just cut up to go with ice cream.Also hiding it in jelly or a pudding.

Hope that helps

Joimage

• Hello.

Yes, same here.  My five year old daughter has definite phases of being "picky" with fruit and veg and has completely refused all fruit and (green) veg point blank at times.  I agree with Jo, it's just a case of passing it off without comment and ignoring the "I DON'T LIKE THAT" comments.  Just keep offering and being sneaky with how you present it, I always used to puree/chop veg so small in, say, a bolognese she wasn't aware she was eating it. 

Best of luck and don't worry, he won't come down with rickets!