Forum home Toddlers & older children Toddler
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

18 month old always hungry!

Hi ladies

im just wondering how much your toddler eats? my son ALWAYS seems hungry, and he has always been like this. when he was 10 weeks old he would happily drink 13oz of milk and always drank all the milk offered. now with his food, he will always finish everything given to him and usually moan for more. im really grateful that he eats so well and eats anything given to him, but sometimes wish he could tell when he is full. i never feed him until he wont eat anymore as i just think he would continue to eat until he was sick. he isnt really overweight but is chunky. so this is an example of what he eats and drinks in a day.iv had to hide the fruit bowl as he constantly stands pointing and moaning for fruit. and i have to hide the changing bag as he does the same! oh and he is almost 18 months old.

7.30am - beaker of milk

8.30am - 1 1/2 slices of toast with peanut butter and water offered but usually he will only have a couple of sips.

10.30am - 2x crackers with cheese, offer water again, maybe will have couple sips

12.00pm - egg mayo sandwich, handful of blueberries and grapes. beaker of juice.

3.00pm - yoghurt

5.00pm - large portion of cottage pie, spag bol, chicken pie, tuna pasta or something similar. and sometimes a taste of whatever we are having ie. piece of garlic bread or something. water offered.

7pm - 9oz milk.

sometimes he may have exta snacks if we are at grandparents or something.

does this seem a lot?? he would happily eat a lot more!

ashy x

Replies

• Options
    It is more than my almost 2yr old eats on a good day, but he is a pretty rubbish eater most of the time! It looks as if he's eating a pretty healthy variety of foods so that's a good thing.

Does he have a drink in between the meals and snack times? I'm just curious as my toddler drinks loads and I'm thinking that maybe filling him up and stop him eating as much as he could be.

Anyway I don't think you should worry too much, he's eating the right foods and he obviously needs it! x
  • Options
    is it maybe hes acctualy thirsty rather than hungry? would he drink squash rather than water, i know if i offered just water DS wouldnt drink much so we offer him weak squash and he drinks quite a lot and big beakers of tea x
  • Options
    Here's an example of what my 15 month old would eat:-

07.00 - 8oz of milk, then 1 weetabix with further milk and 1 banana.

10.30 - 6-8 grapes & a few sips of milk

12.30 - 2oz cheese, 1 slice of bread, 5 cherry tomatoes, yoghurt & a pear plus maybe 1 or 2oz of water

15.00 - a small apricot muffin & a few sips of milk

18.00 - beef casserole (reasonable size bowl - maybe 250ml) with 1/2 small yorkshire pudding, followed by about 20 blueberries plus maybe 1 or 2oz of water

19.30 - 9oz of milk

Although he loves his morning/night milk, he doesn't tend to drink more than 3-4 ounces of other fluid during the day. Personally it doesn't sound too much, I'd just keep it as you are and avoid introducing any further snacks. My DS has always been a big boy, must weigh about 29lb now. HTH for comparison purposes xx
  • Options
    thanks for the replies.

piggypops, id prefer not to give him juice to sip throughout the day as im worried about his teeth (i used to work in dentistry and know its better not to sip throughout the day and just drink it in one go) thats why i have been offering water but allowing one juice drink which he has with a meal.ashashy xxy
  • Options
    Luke has fresh orange juice diluted with water if thats a healthier option.
  • Options
    what about smoothies? our DS loves those, we also have the diluted fresh juice like rebecca
  • Options
    TBH it sounds much like what my dd eats, she has just turned 2.

Hers is something like this

7amish Bowl of cereal with full fat milk and water (occassionally juice, usually if daddy is making brekkie). Sometimes she'll ask for a yoghurt or some fruit aswell.

12pm beans on toast, or crumpet with jam. Yoghurt, and fruit. Also likes to eat 5 or 6 cherry tomatoes. Water or juice

5pm something i've cooked like casserole, curry etc. She'll generally eat quite a large bowl, and will have either rice or potatoes with it and fruit/yoghurt for afters. Water or juice

Then through the day she may get a handful of choccy buttons or milkyway stars, some grapes, raisens, or apricot. Plus she'll try to nab whatever we are eating so will also have mouthfuls of our cereal or if we are eating crisps, yoghurt she'll have some of that to.

I used to think she would just eat and eat and eat and certainly at your lo's age she would, now at 2 years old she eats till she's done iyswim. Given half the chance she'd eat buttons or tomatoes till the cows come home !!
  • Options
    tbh, sounds normal to me, ds has a similar appetite, from around 18m, and still now (2yrs+1wk), occasionally he'll have a day where he eats even more, but the sometimes less, but mostly very similar to the above....

typical day

7.30 6oz milk

8.30 large bowl of cereal (sometimes followed with toast or more cereal)

10.30 fruit/cereal/cerealbar

12o/c sandwich, fruit and yoghurt

3pm fruit/cereal/yoghurt/oatbar/crackers/rice cake

6pm dinner---fairsized portion (fills his plate) sometimes seconds, followed by fruit pot/yoghurt/fruit/cake(!)

8pm 6oz milk

he's not 'overweight' or big far from it, jusrt below 25thcentile for weight and height...he does however drink a lot more than ur lo, he'll go through at least one beaker of water/weak squash/diluted juice (1part juice/3parts water) every meal and snack plus some inbetween too

i wouldn't worry about his food intake at all...everyone's appetites are different, but perhaps try getting some extra fluids in there

hth xx