Forum home Toddlers & older children Toddler
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

Using the same word to describe different things

My dd is 2 and coming on really well with her talking and most of the time I can understand what she is trying to say.

I am concerned though as she seems to use the same word to describe completly different things. For example she says "whizz" to describe swings, and going to sleep. She says "see-saw" for horses and for see-saws themselves.

I always repeat the correct word back to her, is this ok ? Will she eventually get the correct words ? Her words are good but they dont always SOUND like the words its just I know what she's saying. Like she'll say "ga-gar" for water.

Replies

• Options
    I think this is quite normal as Riley also uses the same word for some things. The main one I can think of is "dadda" which he calls either daddy or his grandad. Also, my bro's gf is called Sammy and when he says that it sounds a bit like mama. I can't think of anything else at the minute but I know there are others. It's just with words that sound the same as others, but he is getting better with pronouncing different things.

I think repeating the right word after she has said it is the right thing to do. x
  • Options
    I think it's normal and you're doing the right thing image

I read somewhere that rather than saying 'no, it's a XXXX' and knocking their confidence, say 'that's right/clever girl thats a xxx' (but repeat the right word)so that they are encouraged to keep using words but are hearing the correct way to say it.

xx
  • Options
    lizzie does this too. she is 15 months and uses the word baba with a slightly different pitch for different things like Dora,spongebob and pussy cat! but she can say grandad?! my sister finds it really funny that she has mastered grandad but not cat! im sure she will get there soon image

• Options
    Sounds perfect to me, repetition and concrete concepts are how little ones learn language, so repeating the proper word will only help her to improve how she says things. I think at this stage the most important thing is that she feels she's communicating effectively, so she carries on. flimpo's spot on - her confidence will be improved when you show her she's clever and repeat the word (as it should be) back to her. Then you're not only reassuring her, you're showing you understand what she's saying too. x x x
  • Options
    glad u posted this. I was starting to worry as my ds does this. says 'dizza'? for juice, water and shoes! also calls glasses 'boofas'?? no idea where these words came from. he then says other random words like tortoise perfectly! glad this seems to be normal image xx