Forum home Toddlers & older children Toddler
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

Toilet Qs

I have just been reading a really interesting debate on toilets, mainly disabled toilets. In our town centre, we have a Debenhams and John Lewis, both of which have family toilets. Whenever possible, I use these. I also tend to shop with my husband, so can just use normal ladies toilets.

BUT, what happens at all other times? If you have a buggy in tow, or a monster of a double buggy like mine, what do you do? I couldn't leave my buggy outside the cubicle, Jamie Bulgers little face will stay with me forever image I also would be horrified at having to park the buggy at the end of the cubicle and leave the door open. Especially if it was not just a wee :roll:

And then what happens when your OH takes your dd out? Would you be happy at her going into the mens? I used to take my nephew in the ladies with me until he was about 8. And then he thought he was too old, but him going into the mens alone scared the bejesus out of me!

Do you use the disabled toilets?

Replies

• i do if i am out on my own although some of our shopping areas make you go an collect a key to use them! persoanally i think all baby change should have a toilet in and lots dont, i dont want to be leaving my baby alone whilst i pee! nor leaving my pram to be stolen whilst i hold my baby on my lap on the toilet (yuck) i have seem mums park the pram outside the normal cubicles in the ladies and pee with the door open but i wouldnt like that, i will have a double when the next comes along and dread to think how i will manage to go for a pee out and about with 2 babies and a big pram,

i think family toilets should be availiable but like with everything else you get people abusing it which is why our disabled toilets are locked, the same people who abuse parent and toddler parking!
  • We're lucky as our local shopping centre has 2 cubicles which are double sized so you can get a pushchair in with you & the other centre we use has a family toilet.

I have been known to use a disabled toilet when I've been somewhere else as I'm sure the majority of disabled people understand that parents don't want to leave their child/children outside whilst they go to the toilet.
  • i work in a very good high street shopimage and we have 2 normal toliets and 2 disabled toilets (one mens and one womens) both of the disabled toliets also have baby change signs on the doors, so they are muilt purpose, menaing hubby has no excuse not to take baby to be changed too.

also in BHS there is a baby change room with a toliet in it (also told by bhs manager that it is used a lot by people potty training their children as there is a lot more room. and a seprate diasbled toliet.

debenhams in next town has a family toilet cubicle and starbucks has baby change in with diabled toliet so i just go when i change lizzie.

• We're very lucky in out town centre. In 1 shopping centre, their is a dedicated room for mums/dads and babies with breastfeeding cubicles, changing stations and a toilet big enough to fit your pram in. In the other major centre it's a baby changing room with a toilet in. I will use disabled if I'm not anywhere near them though. I used to feel a bit 'naughty' using them, until I was told by an employee that they're toilets for anyone but priority for disabled.

I was in Morrisons once, when a guy was taking his daughter shopping who was about 6. The disabled toilet was broke and so he was left with a choice, leave her to go on her own in the womans or take her into the guys. My mum took her for him and made sure she was ok, but I don't think I could of been comfortable with that if it was me.

Ellie xx