Forum home Toddlers & older children Toddler

Sleep issues - please help

My 3 year old just wont stay in bed, he is really tired and has bad behaviour in the day time, so we put him to bed about 7.30pm.

Follow a relaxing bath, bedclothes, stories, but then he just keeps getting up, needing a wee, then a poo, crying at the stair gate on the stairs, I put him back, he gets up again, and again and again.

I am out of ideas, we give stickers for good bed time, treats etc, and take them away when not good

It took 45 mins to get him to bed tonight, so tomorrow will be more bad behaviour again.

Advice, anyone we appear to have tried everything

Replies

• hello

have you seen your healthvisitor, there are sleep trainers in some areas that can give expert help,

hve you tried controlled crying?
  • This is the same problem we've been having with Riley lately. We are going to get a stairgate for his bedroom so he can't get onto the landing but for the time being we've had to resort to putting something in front of his door so he can't open the handle. Sounds a bit mean but it is working as he will give up after a few minutes and get back in bed. It's only been a few nights but I'm hoping that this will just get him out of the habit of doing it at bedtime. We unblock the door when we go to bed so he can come out in the night if he wakes and in the morning. x
  • I'm having a similar problem with lo sleeping. We moved house recently and thought he was unsettled due to a different bedroom (and I guess we were a little soft on him) but he screams and screams and screams when we put him to bed, even though we do all the bedtime rountine, the same as we've done since he was 6 weeks but he's just not responding! Last night he was up til gone 9 as i hate to hear him scream.

He is still in a cot but we were talking about putting him in a bed, but we're now not sure as he'll be up and down like a yo-yo!

He's also waking up 1 - 2 times in the night and very early!

No idea of how to help, just wanted to sympathise and let you know you're not the only one!

C. x