Forum home Toddlers & older children Toddler

28 months and not talking

my son is on waiting list for speech and lang therapy. he still is not talking. he pulls my hand to things and understands a few things i say as instructions,and most things i say overall. but im worried by the time he is seen i could do more? anyone have advice?/been in this situation?

Replies

• Hi,

Here's a few suggestion but im sure your all ready doing these, but reading stories and role play games are good for encouraging language, my liitle boy enjoys ryhming stories like the gruffalo and playing with toy animals, I tend to have a wee running commentary going on what the animals are up to x
  • just wanted to say i was refered when i was little and started talking the day before my appt at nearly 3 years, my mum says i havent shut up since!

my LO doesnt have any words yet at 17 months and i dont expect a lot really, does he have a lot of contact with other little ones with devloped speech? is he talked for so he doesnt feel the need to ask?
  • he goes nursery 2x mornings a week and toddler group with me another 2x mornings a week.
  • he has a lot to learn from then, hope he picks it up soon x
  • could you try simple sign language? my son is 2y 7m and has picked upa lot of the signs Mr tumble uses and altough hayden dosent have any problems with speach he quite often does the sign for words as he says them, like second nature. they say 70% of what we say is through jestures and body language so a few signs could relly help his development. x x