Forum home Toddlers & older children Toddler

Night time tantrums

Really hoping someone has some experience they can share!

DD (21 months) has been sleeping through for a few months now but in the last week or so has been waking screaming in the night. I go in to her to try the usual back rub which used to get her back off straight away but she bats me away and goes into major tantrum mode. Whatever I say or do she screams no and flings herself around. This can go on a very long time. She sometimes asks for booby (she only has a short BF at bedtime now) or to go into the living room but the tantrum isn't because I won't let her, she is already screaming.

I'm pretty sure these are not night terrors as she responds to me and she also did it at bedtime a couple of days ago.

These are now a nightly occurrance and we are so tired! I have been up with her since 4am this morning (gave up trying to get her to sleep at 5.30) and the night before she did this 3 times!

Has anyone been through this or have any advice? I literally don't know what to do.

Replies

• My lo has started doing this but is only 15 months? However, she has just started proper tantrums where she will (very delicately) lay herself on the floor face down and half heartedly kick a leg, really quite amusing :lol: But she will also do throw herself backwards tantrums where you have to be quick to catch her or she cracks her head on something, these are what she does at night.

For me personally she's teething which doesn't help, is walking which is developmental, and is also trying to assert her will. I think the night strops are part of all of that but mainly her asserting control, developing her character, trying to communicate etc.

I know that doesn't help much and although I try to be tough if i know she's stropping there are times when I take her in to bed with me because she seems so distressed. So I suppose I'm saying she might grow out of it, have there been any developmental milestones or teething? Would you consider taking her in to bed with you until this passes, maybe she's unwell, ear infections are always one that seems to be hard to spot? image
  • Thanks for the reply.

I do think she may be teething her last molars and did wonder if it could be a factor but this morning she calmed down the second I gave up and got up with her. I gave her calpol last night at bedtime and she didn't wake until 4am (she normally wakes first at around 11pm) so it might be pain.

I was also thinking she could be hungry as I've cut her BF right down to just a few minutes when she used to have a proper feed at bedtime so I think tonight I will try and get her to have some cows milk or cereal before bed.

Lets hope its just (another!) phase.