Forum home Toddlers & older children Toddler
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

Tantrums at nursery , all advice welcome!

Hi LAdies,

I wonder if you can help. My DS , just turned 2 , has been going to nursery since he was about 6 months old. We have always had a little tear or two when we left him but no big issue as when we went out by the time we got outside and looked in the window he was happily playing away.

All of a sudden in the last 3 weeks he is kicking off big time when we leave him, screaming and clinging to legs and banging on the door when myself or DH have gone. Its heartbreaking to watch and I feel so guilty but I have no choice as I work full time so although family have him some days he also goes to nursery at least once a week. They say hes fine within a matter of mins of us leaving and hasnt been misbehaving there.

He is also really developing a temper, lots of 'no mummys' and screetching when he doesnt get his own way. He hits occassionally and has started to throw things also in temper. When he does this he gets naughty corner for two mins. Yesterday he was in there for 10 min solidly as when I went for my apology he kept shaking his head and saying no mummy, so back he went!!!! He did apologise in the end and I glad I saw it through but can any please advise what I can do? Is this terrible twos or sign of something else?

Sorry for the ramble xx

Replies

• I haven't quite got there yet but it sounds like the terrible 2's to me; my lo is 17 months and I am sooo not looking forward to this stage!! lol.

Many friends have said their lo's go through these types of stages with nursery too so am bracing myself for that too; I imagine it makes it so hard but at least he settles down straight away so he can't be unhappy there else he'd probably remain unsettled for a good while or even all day.

Sorry no help at all, but you have my sympathies and I hope he gets through this stage quickly! xxx