Forum home Toddlers & older children Toddler
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

Preemies more ill as toddlers?

My twins were born at 32 weeks, they are fine in every way, discharged from the ped at 12 months, they are now 20 months.

They are always ill.

I mean chest, throat, ear infections, colds nothing too major, but they seem to get over one and a couple of days later get ill again. They pass it to each other (sometimes us parents too) and it seems to escalate pretty quickly.

Their diet is good, they have vitamins & iron, we do go to a lot of groups which I know expose us to germs, but I figure if I don't do it now they'll always be sick once they start school plus they love the groups, it helps them to develop & helps me to stay sane.

But them being ill all the time is getting me down, and it's hard work! When they're miserable they're mean to each other, clingy, screaming etc. I use nurofen and calpol, I go to the doc but not til they've been ill for a few days and I know it's bad cos I feel like we're always there, and when they go on antibiotics it upsets their tummies, plus lots of antibiotics cannot be good for them either.

I'm wondering if anyone else with a preemie knows if it's anything to do with them being early, or if it's just what some kids are like.

Thank you

Also posted in premature births

Replies

• Options
    i think its just a kiddie thing,DS1 he was 5wks early and at the moment hes been sick alot but with school,it just keeps going around,so it keeps getting passed back and forth,the twins were 9wks early and they have been ill a few times too but its hot one day,so there wearing no coats,then its cold the day after,so back to winter coats,its doin my head in! also ive been catching there illness too and its normally rare iam ill,wonder if thats down to old age :lol:

eta- they has been a lot of kids off at school too,one day they were half a class missing due to illness