Forum home Toddlers & older children Toddler
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

Lack of Baby and Toddler Focused Restaurants

My son has just turned 1yr and we are out and about more and more with him...however I am finding eating out as a family to be a very frustrating issue for 2 main reasons: 1. The revolting state highchairs are left in. 2. Limited choice on childrens menus. Its usually just everything with chips, and the 'everything' is usually salt filled cheap sausages and fish fingers. Restaurants label themselves as being 'family friendly' but the truth of it is that children are just an after thought to help broaden their customer base. My question to all you lovely parents out there is...have you come across as a little gem you could tell us all about please (especially in the Leicestershire area) or am I destined to a life of manically cleaning down highchairs everything we go out and laboriously trawling thorough menus to try and work out which has the least amount of salt? I hope I'm not alone with this frustration...something really needs to change out there.... (And don't get me started on the grim state of most baby changing facilities)

Replies

• Options

Hi Michelle, 

I'm not from your local area but I recommend not even bothering with the children's menu. Annabel is 17 months now, and when we eat out I just share my main dish with her and order some sides, such as vegetables, garlic bread or even chips sometimes. It certainly costs less than ordering from the children's menu! 

I too often clean the high-chairs down, unfortunately I think some restaurants/pubs can't be bothered to do it as they know that the parents will. 

Pizza express are quite baby friendly I've found, and our local independent pub. 

Summer is coming now, so it will soon be picnics in the park!! 

• Options

Hi, thanks for your response. Someone else mentioned Pizza Express to me recently, I think I will give there a go. It's such a shame restaurants think its ok to leave a highchair in a state, really puts me off a place.

Yes, love a good picnic.

Thanks

Michelle

• Options

I have found tesco cafes to be pretty good they always have clean tables and high chsirs and even bottle warmers and recently took all the chips nuggets etc off the kids menu and swapped for annabel karmel food. I rarely order Caitlin food from kids menus as nic says sides and sharing off our plates is much better and cheaper. She loves to go out for breakfast so that's quite easy to order for, cereals yoghurt and toast x

• Options

hi michelle, harvesters are pretty good, lots more options, my lo had grilled salmon, mash and mixed veg rather than all the rubbish and chips and with every meal is unlimited salad bar and lovely home made bread rolls. so he troffed on cucumber, carrot sticks and warm bread roll while he waited. they also (like pizza express) do colouring and stickers to keep them occupied. pizza express do small kiddy pizza or pasta, small starter (eg 2 dough balls and a bit of salad) and a small pudding - ice cream or brownie plus bambicino (whipped up hot milk) for 6 pounds something. very reasonable even if she doesn't eat much and you don't want her to have the pudding. I let my lo have dough balls and a pasta and then he nibbled on my pizza too, lots of waste but for the price couldn't argue. Always found both those chains to be clean, good changing facilities etc though it might depend on the individual restaurant x

• Options

We tend to feed off our plate with sides too! My DD is 1 and unfortunately cleaning down the highchairs is pretty much a way of life with eating out image

I'm not sure if you can completely blame the restaurants though, a lot of places here it's the parents that don't clean up after their kids and then just shove the highchairs back in the pile if that makes sense.

I also sometimes order DD jacket potatoes or things that would be starters. She loves all sorts of foods though so is generally easy going.

One point about salt consumption - the daily intake for babies is 1g a day, and actually when you look at the amount of salt that is it's quite a lot so I tend not to worry too much about it. Just go for the healthiest option that's available.