Forum home Toddlers & older children Toddler
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

oh no she can get out of her cot !!

hi all

would just like some advice realy ...

poppy is 20 months old now and 2 nights ago she has managed to climb out of her cot on to the bed so ive tried just putting her back but no sooner is my back turned shes out again..

ive never had a problem with bedtimes shes always gone to bed on her own but now she can get out and she thinks its fantastic

so we tried her in her bed but she can obviously get out of that aswell so a a last resort i got the travel cot out because i thought it was deeper and she wouldnt be able to get out ...... but guess what she managed it in the middle of the night... i also put her to bed in the day for an hour but thats gone out the window too so last night was a nightmare ....

she fell asleep on the sofa because she hadnt had the sleep in the day and woke up about 11 screaming n wide awake..

any suggestions or am i just gonna have to persevere with the putting back in cot routine... (or i could turn the cot upside down with her inside .... only joking) ...

thanks rach x

Replies

• Mia started bailing out her cot at 14 months. I was terrified. We put her in a single bed from then and ditched the cot entirely. We just put a baby gate on her bedroom door and one of those things on the top on the door that stops her shutting the door. Some night she fell asleep in the bed, other nights she was late to sleep because she was wandering her room and other nights she feel asleep on the floor after we'd put her to bed but she got there in the end we just had to stick with it. We've just had the same thing with Ava so at first we took the dropside bit off the cot so it was like a bed for her but now she kips in a single bed too and they're both in a nice routine after about 2 weeks of disasterous bedtimes. Personally I'd stick at the bed and hopefully Poppy will get to like it. Mia liked picking out a set of new bedding for her and Ava. I think she thought it was her own little grown up thing of picking out her furinture and stuff. As long as Poppy is safe and can't get down your stairs or anything I wouldn't worry too much. I know night time routine breaks can drive you crazy but it'll work out in the end. Good luck.

Sym

• Eowyn also started to get out of her cot,so we changed it into a bed, she currently sleeps in her big sisters bedroom and we have a stairgate at the top of the stairs, I leave a light on upstairs so that if she does get up, she can find her way to our room, then I just give her a cuddle and put her back in her bed.
    A couple of times I have gone in to check on her and found her fast asleep on the floor, so I just pick her up and put her back in the bed. I agree with Sym, about bedding, she chose a Peppa Pig duvet and was very excited about her big girls bed.

Good Luck

Mandi xxx
  • Awesome, we love Peppa Pig here. Strange, but that's what Mia chose too. I forgot to say, we once lost Mia at bedtime. I was starting to panic until I heard a little snore from under the bed. Doh.

On the Peppa Pig front, Asda have some lovely Peppa shoes and trainers in at the mo. Bargain price of 6quid ;0) Got Ava some now Mia wants to go back tomorrow for a pair.

Our two girls are sharing a bed at the mo as they like to snuggle and know each other are close by. It's fine for us but its a bit of a waste of the other bed.

• Might take a trip to Asda tomorrow! Although she is becoming a little obsessive, much to the amusement of shoppers when she says to me "what are we going to buy today mummy pig.."
    That is so sweet both girls sharing a bed, Eowyn is number five, so I constantly find her in bed with her brothers or sisters, sometimes they are fast asleep and she is just sat next to them!
    Although it is becoming a bit of a nightmare because the boys have bunk beds and Xene has a high sleeper, Eowyn is great at getting up and then I hear a little voice saying "Mum I stuck" Seriously do need eyes in the back of your head!
    And in four weeks time the whole process starts again - must be mad!

Mandi
    mum to five and very large bump