Forum home Toddlers & older children Toddler
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

Daytime naps for toddlers

My daughter still needs a nap during the day otherwise she gets grouchy & easily upset. Some days she resists but most days she goes down relatively easily. I usually try to limit it to 1 1/2 hours (although if I'm napping too it's closer to 2 hours). She goes to sleep fine at night & mostly sleeps through (waking for water & calling out even though it's on her nightstand!) but increasingly it looks to me like she's got bags under her eyes. Not quite sure if I should be giving her less sleep in the day or if there's something else I should be doing? My baby is due any day & I'm not sure if I'm being selfish in still putting her down for naps but she really does seem to need it.

Any experience of this or opinions?

Thanks

(She's 2 3/4 now)

Replies

• Options

Keep the naps for as long as possible! If she's going down fine at night and is grouchy without I'd say it's a no brainier. And you'll appreciate them when no2 comes along. :-)

• Options

Thanks, that's what I was thinking I'm just not sure why she's got bags under her eyes! Thanks

• Options
    Yep. What spikey said. Isla's three next week and still goes down for a nap at 1 every day. She resisted for a short period but that didn't last long. she usually sleeps till 2.45 but today didn't wake till 3.15. 3.30 is usually my cut off. 

She's always slept through but I find on days she doesn't nap her nighttime sleep is always more disturbed, she'll call out in her sleep or I can hear her dreaming. She also tends to wake earlier in the morning when she's not napped.