Forum home Toddlers & older children Toddler
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

How important is teeth brushing?

A has a decent enough number of teeth that they need brushing. However, she absolutely hates doing them. We give her the option of brushes (two of her own, H's, mine) but she rarely picks one and I end up having to forcefully clean them which end up in huge tears and tantrums and it really disrupts her settling amd her sleep. Its just not worth the hassle and stress. We have tried everything under the sun but she will have none of it.

So, how important is it? I would say we end up doing them maybe once a week. She only drinks water, doesn't have milk of an evening anymore, but does have her dinner immediately before bed. Will all her teeth go rotten and fall out? I feel like a terrible mother!

Replies

• Firstly, big hugs to you. You're not a bad mum because A won't brush her teeth. W gets his brushed in the morning only at the minute as he's a nightmare at night for eating after he's had them brushed.

It is important for them to brush their teeth, if for no other reason that they're getting used to it. Don't force A if she doesn't want to. If she's anything like W, the more we try, the more he refuses and we get no where. I wonder if leaving it for a week or so and then re introduce it while she's playing? With W, in the morning, after breakfast, he usually plays with his toys, so I hand him the brush and let him use it as much or as little as he wants. As he has got bigger, we have started encouraging him to brush, which seems to be working.

It is tough when you know it's in their best interest, but they won't play ball.

• I'm the daughter of a dentist so I would definitely say yes yes yes, but then I'm far from that stage and don't know what it's like to deal with a kiddie who doesn't play ball! I know the worst things for babies are juice drinks etc

• Thats the thing, I know its important, but she blimmin won't do it so I just want to feel better about it lol. I guess we will give it a rest for a few days and maybe try in the mornings instead. I guess once she's older I can reason with her and ask her to do it, but for the foreseeable its going to be a bit of a battle!

• We've got a similar one! I give her the brush and all she really does is suck the toothpaste off it. I try and show her how I brush mine and VERY occasionally she'll let me move the brush around in her mouth but more often than not if I try and hold it she'll just move her head away.

• Don't beat yourself up about it though Nenas! She'll get it eventually!  At least you're trying! My sister never bothered with her two and they're teeth are horrendous now! They won't even let the dentist near their mouth!

• I think just keep persevering with it, obviously its difficult with huge tantrums so don't push it too hard but its definitely worth doing. I only say this because my step children don't brush their teeth now unless they're told to, they're 11 and 14! They never have brushed their teeth unless I stand over them, and its all because they were never taught to when they were younger by their mum. They also couldn't eat properly with a knife and fork when I first met them, so I fixed that too.

I think if it becomes something they just do, its much easier to ensure they're brushing their teeth when they're older and its a bit more important, IYSWIM?

• How stressful for you. Can totally see why you wouldn't want such a battle before bed time. What about a trip to the dentist as they might be able to firstly reassure you and secondly give you some advice on how to proceed, there might even be an alternative product / brush that isn't a brush or something?! Have you tried brushing with your finger instead, if it's the brush that's the issue?

Good luck and don't worry, you are so not being an awful Mum, parenting is just making the best decision for the particular situation / phase and I'm sure she'll grow out of it xx

• Have you tried an electric toothbrush? A hated getting his teeth brushed to start with but on the advice of the health visitor (and checking with the dentist) we got him an electric one.He now loves it, and if the bathroom doir is open he'll go in and ask to brush his teeth (he's 19 months). We also have to brush Makka Pakkas teeth on a morning!

The dentist did tell us though that as long as you are getting toothpaste into their mouth to try not to worty about it too much.

• My dentist said they need the fluoride and that you can use adult toothpaste. I'd def use adult toothpaste as the concentration of fluoride is higher. Maybe focus on just getting it in there (with your finger in the morning?) and maybe aim for a proper brush just at the weekend.
  • Im still pregnant but from my work a few ideas are I think there are Apps with songs and actions to follow, some kind of toy doll/cuddly and brush for A to practise on, a reward chart with a photo with her brushing her teeth on it and she gets a sticker, doing it in the bath, and doing yours at the same time. Not sure if any will work for you but thought i'd throw them out there anyway.

• Thanks for all the advice and reassurance. Some good ideas there so will try some of them, thank you!

• haven't been on in a while so catching up on old posts.

So I don't really know how we got here, but she is now loving brushing her teeth and strops when we take it off her if she's not ready. Its now a bit of a game so H presents the toothbrush to her with a 'Ta-dah!' (which she says back to him, very cute), she holds it and then we put the toothpaste on for her. She's had 5 teeth all pop through and since then its been fine so it was maybe just some very long teething that she just didn't want us to mess around with! I'm sure it won't last but its all good for now!

• That's great Nenas! So pleased she's come round! W just cut his eyeteeth the other day! I'm so glad their through!