Forum home Toddlers & older children Toddler
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

What are/were your 18 month olds like?

I'm sorry if this sounds like a stupid question!

My only friends with babies are my nct lot and they are all the same age as S so I've no idea what he might be like at 18 months when this baby arrives.

Can you help me build up a picture by telling me a little bit about what your 18ish month olds like/dislike? What is their communication like at that age? What sort of games ans toys do they like?

I realise it will vary greatly but a general idea would be great because I'm clueless! I can only imagine him as he is now Tongue Tied

Replies

• L is 20 months but loves Duplo (always has) and is getting into everything - playing with mobile phones, emptying out cupboards, putting things in bags, dress up stuff/shoes and can play independently. She can understand what is being said sometimes, and has started to string very short sentences together, e.g., "that one", "what's this", etc but you will get to know how S will speak and understand him.

• W is only 15 months and plays independently.  He understands certain things like 'do you want juice' - meaning his cup of water and 'Who's that?' - he points and babbles if it's anyone other than daddy. and he knows when it's time to change his nappy...and depending on what he's doing, this isn't usually a problem, or it's a fight to the bitter end with me having to sit his legs between mine so he doesn't kick my stomach.  In the last couple of days he's been copying Mickey Mouse when they call on Toodles, which is just the cutest!

• L is 18 months. He can communicate well by pointing to what he wants or what he's seen. He probably has 70 ish words and that's increasing by the day, however most of them aren't particularly useful in terms of telling me important things - eg he can tell me the names of twenty animals but cant tell me that he's too hot! But his understandings great and he usually follows instructions well, and he is starting to learn words for foods etc which is helpful. Although he mostly just shouts 'more' to any food! Also he loves to help, he will fetch things and put things away if I ask, which I imagine you can make great use of with a new baby!

In terms of likes and dislikes, L loves being outside, his toy cars, books and feeding his teddies with toy food. He is starting to tantrum if he doesn't get what he wants, and wants to walk everywhere but not necessarily in the right direction! He can be difficult but at the same time his personality is really showing now and its lovely! No idea of any of that will help or not though as theyre all different!

• F is 15 months and nothing like rkb's little boy from the sounds of it who is the same age. He has no words but knows what he wants if he sees it and then points, babbles, screams! He can play on his own but for a limited time. He has started to scream when I leave the room and sreams being left with others which is a new thing. He is a crap eater, crap sleeper and very high maintenance. I will have a 20 month gap and dreading it as right now I wouldn't cope with F plus a baby. I'm hoping he chills out a bit in the next 4/5 months! X

• At 18 months O had a handful of words and was just starting to join a few words together...things like "here he is" when playing peekaboo for example. He was inquisitive, spent very little time sitting still and instead preferred to run everywhere and climb EVERYTHING!! He was good at playing independently, and was very good at and keen on anything that involved building or problem solving (puzzles etc). He understood things on the whole but very often would ignore any instruction/command!

• TP - you'll be amazed how much they can change in a few months at that age. I'm sure F will be fine xx

• D is 16 months, he understands a lot but isn't saying any words yet. He loves digging and watering in the garden, playing with a toy kitchen and dashing about a lot. He is going through a phase of not being happy in his pushchair but also not wanting to walk :-s if he does walk, he goes in a direction of his choice and not the way we are actually supposed to be going. He is a good sleeper and sleeps through mostly, but he is tricky to settle .He is a pretty happy chap but quite strong willed and likes to do his own thing. He isn't the biggest eater, it is very hit and miss.

• TP, at fifteen months L wouldn't leave my side, screamed when I had to go to work (sometimes for hours, poor grandparents!), would only sleep in our bed despite having been happy in his own room since seven months, and cried constantly with frustration at not being able to tell me what he wanted. Had I found out I was pregnant at that stage I would have been terrified, and probably devastated. Three months later the separation anxiety is much better, although still there, he sleeps through in his own room 90% of the time, can play independently if I need him to and is able to communicate most of his needs and wants to a point. Oh, and now I desperately want another baby which I think is a good indicator of how much better things are! Hopefully it will be similar for you, it really is amazing how fast they change!

• Thanks ladies, that's really helpful. It's interesting to see what their understanding of words and commands is. S will pass me something he is holding if I hold my hand out for it so would be lovely if he learns to pass me baby wipes when I'm changing a nappy!

He plays really well independently at the moment but has gone through very high maintenance phases in the past so ill brace myself for those to return.

TP, I hope F mellows for you when the baby arrives, and hopefully for a bit before so you can rest up before you have two of them!