Forum home Toddlers & older children Toddler
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

Playing with toddler with a newborn

Hi. My son is 2.5 years old and I have a 2 week old daughter. Just wondering how long you actively spent playing with your toddler and how you fit it all in? I do talk to him constantly, read him stories and try and get him involved but have not yet managed to play or entertain him. 

Thanks

Replies

• Hi, I have kids with a very similar age gap. DS was just 2yr3mnths when DD was born. I found it very difficult at the beginning as all of a sudden I couldn't spend all my time with him like I used to! I got over it and whenever the little one was asleep I made sure we had some quality time to catch up. I still do it to this day although it gets easier as they get older as DD is now 14 months and we can all play together :) Best of luck, I know it's hard to start with but I promise it will get easier x

• Maybe review the toys. Has your son a toy kitchen, play food, tea set? He could play with them with you while you are sitting under the baby. You just put in your order, ooh do make mummy a cup of tea and he will bring it over to you. Send him back for the sugar etc. Or get him a shopping basket and tell him what you need him to put in it for you and use a toy cash register. You keep some toy money and give it to him and he can ring it up. Toys you can play with him while multitasking.

A toy hoover and tell him while you sit on the sofa what a great job he is doing and to do by the door, under the window etc?

Get the baby a toy that you pull a string and it plays music and ask your son to pull it for her.

I will get easier!