Forum home Toddlers & older children Toddler
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

Suddenly stuttering...

Hi all, my 3 and a half year old son has suddenly started stammering.  There haven't been any changes/disruptions in his life lately, and he doesn't seem to do it more with any particular sounds, but it is always at the start of a sentence.  Neither me nor his Dad stutter.

Is this normal?  Will he grow out of it or do you think I should take him to the Dr?

Thanks

Replies

• Options
    Hi, my daughter also started when she was a little younger than your son is now. She was almost 3. It lasted around 6 months, on & off. At the time it is quite worrying, & I did take her to the doctors & we got an appointment for a speech therapist. Everyone told me the same thing, it's very common for children of this age & they normally grow out of it. That did turn out to be true for Isabelle. She still does it a little now (she's 4 years & 4 months), but I don't worry about it anymore. Tips I learnt, don't finish the sentence for them, don't tell them to slow down, just let them get on with it. Very difficult to do in reality. So, based on my limited experience I would say yes, he is likely to grow out of it. I know it's difficult, but try not to worry.... Donna.