Forum home Toddlers & older children Toddler
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

Toddler has anxiety and sleeping issues I am in dispair

Help I dont know what to do my nearly two year old will not sleep in there bed and basically during the day when i am not a work she is like a ball and chain around my leg she will not let me do anything on my own and has to follow me everywhere.  She will not go in the pram I just give in to carrying her so people dont stare ifeel like I am being judged all the time I cant even take her shopping because everyone stares she will not go in a trolly. I have no time to myself anymore and end up sleeping on the sofa with her every night am exhausted.  I want to break this chain she has her own bed but screams the house down when i put her in it.  i then worry about the neighbours moaning (Neighbour knocked on the door within a couple of days of us moving in because apparently our tv was too loud bear in mind I have never ever had a complaint from a neighbour before) because she makes so much noise she screams the house down.  She also has to share a bedroom room with her 8 year old sister so I also worry about her getting disturbed i dont think I have had a proper nights sleep in around three years since i got pregnant with her.  I dont know where to start i know it will not be an overnight process but i just do not know where to start.  I

Replies

• Hi, I feel your pain. I'm not sure I can help but my 5 year old was the same. She desperately needed reassurance. And still does to some extent. 

Warning! Very long post!

At around 18 months I tried to put her in her bed and lay down beside her till she fell asleep. That could last for hours and she would wake up in the night anyway and come into our bed. We tried the cry it out method which was very hard on both of us. It worked but 2 weeks later fell sick and my husband wanted her with us to keep an eye on her and I didn't have the heart to start all over again. The only way I got time to myself is if she slept in my bed. As a couple we learned to be imaginative. And the nights we wanted to be alone for a while we just put her in her own bed and she would come back during the night. She still sleeps with us at 5 years old but at least I do too. And for during the day, I don't know what to say. I was very firm with her, she didn't like the trolley but I insisted. Not everybody will agree but I used to keep her occupied with my phone or a book or a toy. Here in France they have mini trollies so she would help me do my shopping. Even if she does scream try not to think what other people think. When they have spent a day in your shoes let them judge you then. 

My second daughter is in her own bed at  12 months old. And I did the same things with her. They are all so different.

I have read on the Internet tho about sleep problems. They say be consistent and change one thing every week until you get to where you want. The site I think it's the sleep store it deals just with sleep problems.

I hope I helped but if not at least you know you are not alone. You're doing a great job mom! Keep the faith. This will not last forever!