Forum home Toddlers & older children Toddler

November 2015 Toddlers

Replies

• That's ok. I think having two is lovely, i don't think there is ever a right time. We had our first then got a house then Had our second then got married. 

any child is a blessing. my second is a clomid, fertility treatment. That took a year. 

I say you should go for it 😊 whike your still in baby/toddler world. X

• Thanks so much so nice to hear positivity.  

We own our 2 bed at the moment but if we move this will be for a forever home so thinking of maxing out the mortgage I'm only 26 so got long enough to pay it off.  There is never a right time and I will be so exited for another one. I'll let you know my decision soon! Xx

• Hi all! 

Lovely to hear everyone is still loving it! Oliver is still a reluctant walker! He can walk but will only do it if he wants to which is frustrating!! 

We moved house just before Christmas so finally getting settled and back to sleeping well! The change effected Oliver more than I expected to be honest! He was waking every hour for the first month and really upset when he was waking! Thank god that has passed! He has also had whooping cough which was awful and also prolonged the sleepless nights so we're relishing the better sleep pattern now! 

X

• Hi Lolalove, we are so sorry to hear Oliver had whooping cough - how long did he take to recover? We hope all is well now? 

And happy pancake day to you all! We were wondering, are you or your children giving anything up for Lent? Do come and let us know if you are, on this thread here. 

• Hi everyone,

Sorry to hear about Oliver Lolalove.

Looking for some advice on a few things:

Storytime has always been a big part of our bedtime routine and Hugo-Blaze has always slept and self settled with no problems at all, I have just started to have an issue I am not sure how to combat it. I put him in his bed and he happily lays there watching me read and follows the story however for the last few nights he crys when I leave the room and he has never ever been that kind of boy. I dont know what to do because I dont want top stop reading to him but equally its me causing the issue by leaving the room? automatically my instinct was to stay and read longer but no matter what he doesn't like me going. I tried just putting him in without a story and he was asleep within 10mins - am I causing the problem?

I have just turned him forward facing in the car and he doesn't know what to do with himself! any mums recently made this change? Hugo is a small 16m old x

• Hi Alba,

Can you not just change when storytime takes place? We do it after bathtime, once she's in her PJs but in our room. We then do our good nights and put her in her bed for sleep time.As they grow older I guess we need to adapt to their routine changes :)

Tallulah has a swivel seat so can go forward or backwards facing (think recommendation is backwards until they are 4 now). Tallulah only goes forward facing for short journeys that don't involve motorways or large A roads but she generally just chats to us, watches out of the window  just plays with her toys. If Hugo is always forward facing you could get him an activity centre for the car seat or for the back of the seat he's facing?

Hope everyone is well 😁

• I think it's their age to be honest! Oliver has never been a clingy baby at all but recently if I go in to him through the night he waits until I get him up! If my husband goes in jen settles back off no problem! hes also started crying when I leave him with my parents which he's never done before! He doesn't go to nursery and is generally always with me so I think it's just got to the time where he doesn't want me to leave! I'm considering putting him into nursery one morning a week once he's 18 months just to get him used to me not always being there.

As for bedtime routine, I read Oliver his story before his bath, then aftwr his bath he has a lie down and a cuddle in the dark, then I put him down sleepy but still awake and this so far has always been fine! 

As of yeterday...we have a walker! He's finally decided that he wants to walk rather than crawl which is great but now I'm worrying about all kinds of things which I hadn't even thought about! 

xxx

• That was supposed to say wails until I get him up, not waits! Damn auto correct!!! X

• Thanks for the input ladies, I guess what I am realizing is that we all have such different little ones ah!. I think your right it requires adapting.

Hugo is a boy who barely sits still he is on the go from the min he wakes up so to sit him next to me to read a story just doesn't work he associates his room with calm and his bed is the only place he will lay for that length of time. but I guess I should start involving him in the reading a bit more we do picture books in the day but even then he wants to run off with the book!!.He is so loving and always sits for cuddles etc but if involves me doing something for him i.e turning the page or opening a bottle he doesn't want to know. As my Mum always says " its a phase" and I hope so.

Oh well done Oliver!  the fun begins.. Hugo has been walking since he was 9m so I just remember those early days as being a new minefield of worry. I actually done the opposite to what most mums do and I dont know if I should be ashamed of this or not but aside from stair gates I did not protect my home in any way I just adapted a few things that were in cupboard etc, if you read back on previous posts Hugo is a seriously good climber so I ended up stopping proofing anything because he always found a way around it.

I think I myself may be going through a phase I dont normally worry so much x

• I'm the same alba, I feel unusually anxious and have done for the past month or so! Maybe it's linked to them growing up?

I'd say maybe try and read the same book every day and he may then really like that book and sit still for it? That's what Oliver does and he then gets to know the characters and points them out when you ask him 'where's the cat' etc! I tend to change every week! Let him have all his other books available, but just actually read the one! Books are Olivers favourite at the moment! He will actively bring me his book to read and get up next to me! Which, I'll admit, I am so happy with as I'm such an avid reader! 

Xxx

• Thanks again for the advice ladies I will give it all a go.

I think your right lola maybe its us?

I have one more questions ill say it again because I know some babies are younger but hugo is almost 16months and still very much a mouther as in he will put anything and everything in his mouth - is this still normal at his age and when should it stop? Thanks

• Alba we haven't made any changes to our house either apart from stair gates, I wanted to install boundaries without locks etc and for Tallulah it seems to have worked... so far at least!!

I can't really help with the mouthing, Tallulah has never been a one to put everything in her mouth, she's always done it to make us laugh more than doing it just to do it. I am able to ask her not to put something in her mouth and she will put it back down or take it away from her mouth. She is just under 16 months. Im sure he will grow out of it soon enough, the mouth is full of nerves so it probably just feels good to him :)

lolaLove it sounds like Oliver is doing amazingly! hes obviously just been taking in the world before he walks as he sounds very intelligent with his reading... Tallulah will only sit still for about 5 mins tops haha!! She likes books but has little patience in order to complete even the shortest one (apart from at bedtime) although even before bedtime she's charging round the house giggling - calm only starts once I put her in her room to sleep which thankfully she's great at! She goes down completely chatting to me and as soon as I shut her door she goes to sleep 😴

what book is his favourite?? 

• Hi Tuturose,

So great to hear, I have done the exact same its worked for me but if I could count the amount of times people have said "where are your cupboard locks, or corner stuff" im like hes fine grrr.

Agh I dont know I am making a big deal out of nothing I hope he just grows out of it by himself. He does stop if I say no but it wont stop him doing it with anything and everything - cat food you name it!

To hear Tallulah will only sit still for 5 also gives me peace of mind lol. we will get there ah! x

• Hi everyone, it's so great to read all your updates and hear how you're all doing. 

Tomorrow is the 60th birthday of Dr Seuss's The Cat in the Hat, so we were wondering, do you have a favourite Dr Seuss book? If you do, won't you come and tell us on this thread here? 

• Oliver loves putting anything in his mouth! His strangest obsession is my hair...he issues it as a comfort blanket/cuddle toy! Which is cute but a little fristrating when his little sweaty hands get tangled! 

We had a terrible afternoon/evening yesterday, oliver tripped over and hurt himself then wouldn't put any weight at all on his right foot! went to a&e and he has fractured his leg! It's so horrible feeling so helpless! He literally tripped from standing! feeling like a terrible mummy right now! Xxx

• As easy as it is for us as mummies to blame ourselves for absolutely everything to do with our children, we shouldn't... you shouldn't!!! All the trips, falls, breaks, grazes etc are just part of them growing up and getting used to the world around them! Be kind to yourself Lolalove, you sound like an amazing mum... as long as your boys are raised with love and kindness you are winning!! Give Oliver lots of cuddles, enjoy the snuggles before he's running rings around you again x

• Oh Lolalove, please don't stress about Oliver's break - a very similar thing just happened to one of the mums in our September 15 Toddlers thread too - her daughter broke her arm. And on another thread, a toddler fell over and knocked out her front tooth. These things happen... wishing Oliver a speedy recovery. 

• Thank you both, it means a  lot! I just keep wishing I could go back in time and stop it from happening! It's just horrible! Luckily they decided to try him with a boot rather than a cast so he can still have a bath and have a comfy sleep! Xxximage

• Hi all, 

So lovely to hear from you all, been a bit manic this end. Poor Isaac had conjunctiviti, followed by impetigo and now I'm waiting on the chicken pox to come out as my niece has just had them real bad and he's round her everyday plus he's sleeping loads and super grumpy 😔 

Isaac loves books but only to eat them lol! he's doing well though over than being poorly, he's started calling Neve N which is fab, much better than grunting at her when he wanted her attention. He's says quite a few words now including Mumma, Dadda, N, No, Nanna, De (short for my parents dog Indi), Ju (juice) La (Lola), he also roars like a dinosaur lol!! 

We went shoe shopping at the weekend and he has proper grown up boy shoes now, when did my baby grow to this age that he needs big boy shoes...... I want my little baby back lol!! 

We had the school admissions forms come into school this week and it shoes when we have to register kids for school for the coming years and it's only 3 and a bit years till our babes are at  school, where has the time gone..... xx

• Cripes Nevesmummy, Isaac has really been through the ringer - must have been a hard few weeks for you too. Has Neve already the pox?