Forum home Toddlers & older children Toddler

Walking, shopping and eating

Would value some honest opinions.... Today I took my son out shopping, he is almost 2 and like most toddlers values his freedom and prefers to walk rather than be in his pushchair; so today I met him in the middle and took him out of his reigns. Whilst shopping, we made a stop off in the bank and the cashier there gave my son a lollypop- he of course saw this and wanted it immediately- so to save a tantrum I let him have it. Whilst waking through the shopping centre I overheard a middle aged lady rather rudely taking about me to the effect of 'oh she is letting her son walk along eating a lolly' - I hadn't actually given it a second thought....we were only walking through the shopping centre, not near any clothes or such like so I couldn't see any issue- am I missing something?? Would welcome opinions as to why I would cause someone such offence with this??

Replies

• Hi Natc

The only thing I can think of is that perhaps the lady was worried about your son falling over and knocking the lolly back into his throat or teeth? It's something I sometimes worry about when my son runs around with food (or toys when he's teething!) in his mouth.

Either way though, it's your problem to worry about, not hers - there are always going to be people who feel it's their right to voice their opinions on your parenting skills, just smile sweetly and carry on regardless! image