Forum home Toddlers & older children Toddler
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

Crying going to nursery

Hi my little boy has been to the same nursery since he was 10 months old (now 2 1/2), to start with he seemed to love it but now and for the last year he has cried almost everyday going in (he is there 1 1/2 days a week), he even wakes up saying I don't like nursery mummy and I always have to hand him over to a member of staff crying but they reassure me saying he settles within minutes of me going, when I have hung around this is always the case.

I am always positive about nursery to him and talk about all the fun things he will do.

I don't know if I should take him out of there or persist or if there is something else I should try to stop the crying.

When I pick him up he always seems happy and to have had fun.

Thanks

Replies

• Hi there. I actually laughed when I saw this post. Your son reminds me of myself when I was young. I actually used to hate school. I would cry everyday before going to nursery. My mum passed away while I was young. So my dad had to deal with me hating school. I would cry every morning and cause drama at home. I remember my siblings even had pictures of me crying going to school. However, I would cry for some minutes when am at school and keep quite. I really can recall why I was crying because during breaks I would really enjoy myself. I was also academically fit and was top of the class all of my nursery years. Today I am a graduate in mathematics with a degree of good grades. What I can tell you is that your child is just being normal. Actually such students tend to perform more that even those children who don't cry when going to school. Just let him cry he will later stop this and realize years are going quite fast for him to be crying everyday. My dad never changed me to a different school and so don't do that either. All the best.

• hi fi R I honestly think every child goes through these stages and once you’ve left he will be having the time of his life with his friends and would of forgotten all about not wanting to go. 

I don’t think taking him out of nursery will not resolve the matter as when he starts school and If he cry’s you can’t take him out of school so this is kind of breaking him in for when he goes to school. 

The staff have said to you he’s fine after a few minute then that should reassure you? 

Maybe you could reward him at the end of the week so say if we have no more tears at nursery on the weekend we can do this or go out for tea or something just reward him for not crying hope this has helped you xx

• Your son reminds me of myself when I was young. I actually used to hate school. I would cry everyday before going to nursery. My mum passed away while I was young. So my dad had to deal with me hating school. I would cry every morning and cause drama at home. I remember my siblings even had pictures of me crying going to school. However, I would cry for some minutes when am at school and keep quite. I really can recall why I was crying because during breaks I would really enjoy myself. I was also academically fit and was top of the class all of my nursery years. Today I am a graduate in mathematics with a degree of good grades. What I can tell you is that your child is just being normal. Actually such students tend to perform more that even those children who don't cry when going to school. Just let him cry he will later stop this and realize years are going quite fast for him to be crying everyday. My dad never changed me to a different school and so don't do that either. All the best.