Forum home Toddlers & older children Toddler
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

May 2017 Toddlers

Replies

• Nope! Harper is really excited, she keeps asking when he is coming, she said two weeks when I asked her! 🤫

We've got everything sorted-ish. Bag is packed but I'm not sure I'm ready for labor though, I'm more worked about it than I was with the first. I think it's because I sort of know what to expect this time lol
  • Greece** not sure why that changed lol. The two radiologists I know work with are Greek (unrelated) and they have both just been home. They have returned golden brown and it’s making my peely wally Scottish blue tones even more obvious haha!

aw exciting blue, I found labour easier second time. Didn’t quite fall out as I hoped 🤣 but was much quicker. For me anyway. 

How is it less than 8 weeks til christmas. I’m regretting getting the keys to this house a week ago, it’s an empty shell so it’s costing a lot of pennies and exhausted isn’t the word!
  • Harper has decided she wants a scooter. That's what she says Santa is getting her. Except Santa has been out and bought a pink unicorn three wheeler before maternity leave starts, and she's only just dropped that it has to be blue. I have no idea if it's paw patrol, frozen etc. So I don't know what to do! 
  • We are struggling with the girls because they genuinely have too much and the place we are moving to doesn’t have a lot of storage. I can’t handle mess so I’m hoping we can maybe buy them practical stuff 🤣 or garden stuff so it’s outside lol.

• Hi all, welcome back! 

Susan- ouch, you did have a big baby! My friend has a son who turns two next month and only says mama although he understands a lot. I spoke to my sister who runs a pre school  and she said they have two years old who don't speak yet and they aren't concerned as long as they babble. It will come. 

Millie you have a house, how exciting. Good luck with everything. 

Blue so so we can safely say, sometime next month... 

Navi- I'm soo jealous!! 

We are in the U.K for a week so cramming everything in. We met up with my step mum on mon who absolutely spoilt Elodie rotten. I had a migraine so I was really struggling and a couple of times was sick.. Elodie was so sweet, she hugged me and said "are you ok mummy?" Then we went to the Cotswolds for a night visiting her grandparents Tues and today we went to the natural history museum and then trick or treating! Also been shopping, Xmas for elodie is pretty much done , her main present is a kitchen as she's really into pretend play. Then tom we are having a boat trip in London and firework night on Sat. I love being here, it will be quite boring returning home! 
  • Hi everyone, it's the annual MadeForMums Awards soon, and we're looking for judges to test out a variety of products for pregnant women, babies and parents (buggies! Wipes! Baby carriers! 100s of products!). To signup to be in with the chance of being a judge, please see Latest Discussions. 🤞
  • @Bluehawaii90 even with my giant toddler baby Labour was soo much easier second time. You’ll be fab don’t worry!
  • Sounds like your time in Uk was busy Hannah. Scotland missed autumn and dived straight into winter! 🥶 

house is coming along nicely, carpets went down today and all new beds came this week so busy night building. Then can begin moving stuff at weekend. Still to buy a new cooker and bedroom furniture but it’s all getting there. 

Natalie
  • edited Nov 23, 2019 2:24PM

Post deleted by MadeForMums.
    Here's a link to our Chat guidelines. 

• edited Nov 23, 2019 2:24PM
    Post deleted by MadeForMums. 
    Here's a link to our Chat guidelines. 
  • Hi all,

Hope you're well.

Poor Elodie has been unwell. Last week I ended up having to take her into hospital. She's only had one cold before so it's been a bit of a shock for us both! Her breathing was really wheezy last week Wed and I thought it was a chest infection. Then overnight she was a lot worse, she kept gagging as well and threw up over me three times. In the morning I phoned the doctor but they didn't have any apps till Mon. We said it was urgent so they told us to take her to hospital and then our local emergency didn't even look at her, just told me that I needed to take her to the paediatrics dep at another hospital... Anyway they were really good and saw her straight away and examined her and she has Laryngitis. She hadn't been talking so didn't have a chance to notice she had a sore throat. They put her on a nébulizer to help with her breathing, not easy holding a mask over your toddler, poor thing was crying. After a while she started to fall asleep in my arms and then later on they put her on the nebulizer again and she was better that time. She slept 12 hrs that night but the next three nights were awful! She was on this adrenaline based drug which we had to give in the morning otherwise she wouldn't sleep at night.. Well Fri night no sleep at all and crap the next two..

How are you all? Any baby news Harper?

Milliesmummy - It is daunting moving in to a house with so much to do. I remember first moving into this place and having to sleep on an inflatable mattress for a month. We had a quite a bit of work, plastering, sorting out the window frames which was very tedious.. In one room we had this psychedelic wallpaper on the door, walls and even the ceiling! Good luck, I'm sure by Xmas it will be looking homely :) 

• Bluehawaii90Bluehawaii90 Regular
    edited Nov 29, 2019 9:52AM
    @hannah22 hope Elodie is feeling better now? Harper has come down with a cough and cold again this week which we could do without since this "little" man made his apperance on Monday weighing 8lb 13. Much easier, faster labor. I started having irregular contractions at 9pm Sunday night (was already in being induced), they broke my waters at about 2pm on Monday afternoon and he was here for 15:30. Gas and air, just a few stitches.

We've called him Evan. As you see, Harper is loving every second of being a big sister so far, she can't leave him alone. Everything is " Baby Evan needs his milk" or a dummy or "he's got his eyes open!!". I'll remind them how cute they were together when they are 14 and 12 and hate each other 😆

I think it's just the change in routine for her, but she's been a bit of a pain again. Not listening, just wanting everything her way. We are used to her generally being well behaved, but she's been a madam this last 48 hours. Also she has woken up crying in the night saying she's had a naughty dream. With any luck it will pass!
  • Ahh he's gorgeous! Congratulations Blue! I'm so glad that your labour was much easier than your first :) I really like the name Evan. Hopefully Harper will settle soon, it may an attention seeking thing. 

Elodie is good now thank you. I took her to see Santa for the first time yesterday, here's her reaction...
  • Congrats @Bluehawaii90 glad he’s here safely and all well! Who got the dates right in the end? Evan is a gorgeous name. Harper looks like a doting big sister. Millie was same when lucie appeared and she was nearly 5. It’s a big change for them. 

Move has finally happened. We are in and all decorated. Not started Christmas shopping and it’s making me nervous! I am usually wrapped by now *cry*

glad to hear elodie is feeling better xx
    edited Dec 22, 2019 6:00PM
    I did, they induced me a week early 😂😂 basically the same..right? Lol

Sorry it's taken me so long to get back to you, we had a bit of a rollercoaster with Evan. At just 2 weeks, he wasn't feeding great and just had a few little things that flagged up at the walk in centre, they sent him over to a&e with suspected meningitis/sepsis. 5 days IV antibiotics, 5 nights in hospital, lumber puncture and 2 cheat x-rays, he got diagnosed with pneumonia! We're back home and getting into some kind of a routine now, but it was horrible. Not exactly what I needed when coming down for a 9 month hormonal high. Thankfully baby blues haven't been so bad this time around so it's balanced out now. He's 4 weeks tomorrow! 

Is everyone ready for Christmas? We've got 10 coming for Christmas, god only knows how I'm going to pull it off this year since both washing baskets are over flowing and the entire house looks like squatters have moved in. 

How is toilet training going? We are really struggling with Harper. She will be dry all day at pre-school, but simply won't tell us and lies about needing to go when she gets home. I bribed her to go to the toilet the other night, which she did, but then 10 minutes later we had a puddle on the floor. It's exhausting. 😴

Are you settled in the new place @MilliesMummyx ?

• Oh Blue that's awful! Poor Evan and very distressing for you. How is he now? You're very brave having 10 people for Xmas! Esp after all that.. I hope you don't lift a finger :) 

Elodie is good at poos but keeps wetting herself. If I ask her if she needs to go she will also say no but that's because she's usually doing something and doesn't want to stop. So I've been taking her to the toilet more regularly and she is proud when she has dry knickers. It's frustrating when I'm washing out the fourth pair of knickers that day but we'll get there! 

l'm really looking forward to Christmas, the first where the girls will get it. My family arrive tom afternoon and it will be the first Christmas we've spent together in 10 years so it will be special. They've rented out a gîte and I've been up there today putting a tree up and decorating. 

Merry Christmas everyone and I hope that the day goes well for you all :) xxx
  • Hi girls!!

Hope you all doing well. 
    Huge congrats blue for baby Evan!!!! How do you find it being a family of 4??
    Really hope he's all better now, what a scare you must have had! Hate when our babies are unwell, I get so stressed.
    Harper looks great with her little brother, maternal instincts I think 🤔. On the contrary Stephen is still trying to kill little Rosie, attacking her as ninja from the other corner of the room if I don't guard her 😢.
    Potty training is awful here as well. It was going great, he was saying about wanting to pee but we were struggling with poo. After being constipated and holding it in we put the nappy back on. So now he refuses to tell us if he wants a wee and he pees on the nappy. Great.
    We're going to be 14 for Christmas and even more for new years day. Also the house is full of wrapped toys as in Greece santa is visiting us on new year's day and we call him "Agios Vasilis", so lucky Stephen and Rosie will receive from both saints presents!!! Plus from mummy and daddy. Far too much!!!!! 
    Hope we all have a great time and I'd like to see some photos!! 
    edited Jan 31, 2020 4:11PM
    Hi ladies, 

Wondered how everyone was doing? I'm losing the will to live here thanks to Harper and desire to watch "The real beauty and the beast". I quite like Dan Stevens but there is a limit on how many times I can watch him turn from a beast into a handsome prince before losing my mind 🤦

How is toilet training going for everyone? Harper is basically in pants now but still refusing to do a pop on the toilet. I was on the phone to my boss yesterday when she demanded a nappy on so she could have a poo. I mean wtf? I took her to the toilet and she screamed until I gave in. Other than that, she's generally chilled and has adjusted to having a brother well. She adores him, but has to be told off a lot of the time because she won't leave him alone. 

Work are saying I need to work my KIT days in order to get childcare vouchers as they won't pay them for me while I'm on leave. I really don't want to work them since I won't see the money from it. Does anyone use the tax-free childcare? We don't get free hours yet since it's the term after her third birthday (so September). 

Hope all are doing well anyway! 

Her daddy said she couldn't have anymore sweets. 😂

• Hi Blue,

It it has been ages since we've all chatted on here.
    Just speaking to my sister in law whose a head of HR and she said they can't do that. Your keeping in touch days are part of your maternity rights when you are returning to work.  You can use your KIT days to help you to return to work, training for ex. Childcare vouchers are to help with childcare when you're back at work therefore the two things need to be kept separate. My sister in law banks those KIT days and she can't pay someone whilst they are on maternity but can when they have returned to work. Although that is on her discretion. 
    Harper looks so grown up compared to the last photos you posted! They do get fixated on things don't they? Ha ha! Elodie loves the Lion King, Toy Story 3 and Going on a Bear Hunt and she's recently discovered Finding Nemo. My brother couldn't believe she hadn't seen it when we took her to the Sea Life centre. 

As for us Elodie has fractured her leg and is in a cast! Poor thing, she fell over on the trampoline and she said her leg hurt but that was it. Looking back on it she didn't walk after that because she just wanted me to carry her. She was full of cold and just wanted to go to bed or sleep in my arms. She actually asked to go to bed for the first time ever so I was worried but she didn't have a fever. Then the next day she wouldn't walk on her right leg, she said it hurt and when asked where touched her shin. I took her to the walk in and the nurse gave her Calpol and liquid Paracetamol on top and told us to return back in half hour. When we came back both I and the nurse thought it wasn't serious, she was sitting bending her leg and in no pain unless she had weight on it. The nurse wanted her to walk from her to me and she refused, kept holding her leg up and trying to sit. Then the nurse wanted her to crawl and I stood by the door to get her to come to me and she cried and I felt awful. We went for an X-ray which I was told carries the same risk as a drive to Cornwall! I thought she would be fine and then the nurse told me she had a fracture,  I thought it was just a strain.. The nurse said the doctors at the hospital we were going to would want to talk to me as it was an unusual fracture.. And on top of that the hospital we had to go to had an outbreak of Norovirus and were barring all but essential visitors.. Everyone was lovely and the doctor told me trampolines are notorious for leg breaks in children and her fracture is more like a crack. Elodie has a leg cast on as a precaution as her fracture is so close to her growth plate but as toddler bones heal so quickly it's only on for just over a week. She has been amazing, never complains and is quite happy sitting on the floor playing with her toys. It has been such a tough week, I'm on my own as we are in the UK and I'm run down with a nasty cough and Elodie has a cold as well. Just really drained and worried about the cost as well. 
  • I checked on gov.uk and that says I can have 10 days across my leave and that they have to pay me full salary in addition to my statutory mat pay. The problem is by having the childcare vouchers taken from the money created by the keep in touch days, I won't actually be seeing the benefit of working for the day. It would literally just be going on childcare vouchers so I'm like...wtf is the point? I have to drop a day with both kids to do the day so i can send Harper to nursery...I've also just found out that they have increased the maternity benefit for the first time ever 3 weeks after I've finish my first 6 weeks. SMP is 90% for the first 6 weeks then £148 for the remaining 33 weeks or something. I've fought and fought for the company to pay more all the time I was pregnant, then it's like they've waited for it to not benefit me to introduce it. 😩 as stupid as it sounds, the whole thing has really affected me since they chose to drop the childcare thing 5 days after I'd had Evan so they caught the hormones just right and now I really don't know how I can do anything other than let them get away with it. They are working within the law, I checked. 

Hope Elodie is feeling better? I have no idea what I would do if Harper did that! She loves "jumpaleens" and I hate having to let her go on them. She reckons she's having one for her birthday as well as a camera, I'm like "are you really?" 😂 Hubby is really into his photography so they've been playing with his SLR and letting her take pictures, I'm torn between giving her an old digital camera I have no use for anymore and getting her an old cheap SLR....start them young and all! 

How does everyone manage technology? We both work in IT so we have iPads, tablets, decent smart phones....the usual line up, but we don't really use them as such when she's around. I see loads of toddlers just given an iPad or whatever to keep them quiet (which I hate and don't allow her to) but I also know it's a different world than 1993 when I was 3 lmao