Forum home Toddlers & older children Toddler

1 year old having problems urinating at night

Hi, I was wondering if anyone could give me any advice or have had a similar experience. 

Two weeks ago my 15 month old woke up in the morning with a dry nappy and a few spots of blood (one the size of my little nail and smaller ones.) We took him to the doctors and then A&E where they checked him for a urine infection. They said he was fine but to come back if there are any other issues. The next night he woke up about 10.30 screaming like I've never heard before, kicking his legs, arching his back, wouldn't let us put him down but trying to wriggle out of our arms. We tried lots of things to sooth him but nothing worked until we ran a bath and as he stood undressed waiting for the bath to run, he doubled over, screamed more then urinated. This was the biggest wee I have ever seen him do! After the wee he was back to his old self laughing and splashing his hands in the running water. We took him back to A&E and they tested him again and said he was fine and sent his urine off to the lab to get it checked. It is all clear. 

He didn't do it again until this Monday, exactly the same except 3 am and then again Tuesday night and last night. He screams as he is urinating and these are huge wees (they cover half the bathroom floor) .The doctors keep saying they don't know why he is doing this and I am very worried. On the Tuesday night he seemed to know he needed to go into the bathroom and was gesturing for me to take him there. He also seems to have some control as he will only wee when I am holding him, I tried to move him off of me whilst he was weeing to try and catch it in a container to see how much there actually is but as soon as i moved him he stopped and started screaming more then carried on once I held him close again.

There has been no more blood since the first time and it only happens once in a 24 hour period and only ever in the night. I don't think it can be medical as he is able to wee normally the rest of the day and night and has never had an issue before this. 

Any advice/info would be appreciated as the doctors don't seem to be able to help at all.

Replies

• This sounds bloody horrendous and i'm so sorry you're not getting anywhere with A&E. You must be out of your mind with worry. 

I don't have any experience with this, but wanted to suggest, if you have some money, maybe try and go private and see a paediatric urologist? Otherwise possibly try another hospitals A&E department? And i know your son is only 1, but how about trying to get some cranberry juice into him, just in case it is an infection? 

Really hope he gets better soon x