Forum home Toddlers & older children Toddler
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

13.5 months no words

Bluehawaii90Bluehawaii90 Regular
edited Jan 13, 2021 8:49AM in Toddler
Evening all,

I figured I start my saying that I've got a 3 and a 1/2 year old who speaks so clearly people think she’s in school already. Her nursery have said her speech is outstanding. 

My son is now coming up 14 months old and doesn’t really say anything. He says “dada” and “mama” and “dog”. Also something that sounds like “there” while pointing at stuff. 

Should I be concerned yet? Ive heard that boys are later speakers anyway. He lacks no understanding at all, you can tell him to come and get his bum changed and he will crawl over and lay down. Also “chocolate buttons” is a banned phase in our house because he just smacks his lips until you give him some, even if he can’t see them!

Nursery have suggested that we point and name things with him....like we don’t already 🙄

just wondered if anyone else was going through a similar thing?

Replies

• @DanielleMFM I’ve put this in sleep (probs due to lack there of) can it be moved to the right place? Sorry 😩
  • @Bluehawaii90 Hi Blue, we've moved this to toddlers for you. 
    I will says this - had the same with my 2 kids, my second one didn't talk until she was about 2 or perhaps even older! (She didn't walk until 18 months too!) so I would relax, but let's see what other people say too... 
  • If your child is making various kinds of sounds, if she is responding to things in the form of babbles and trying to understand and mimic the things he hears in everyday life; then maybe your baby is just taking his time to understand the concept of speech. Be patient, let her get a little more comfortable with it.

However, if your child is not responding to any kind of sounds, she isn't babbling and is quiet when you try to talk to him or show him things. Take him to a pediatrician or a speech therapist who can take a look at him and understand this issue better.