Forum home Toddlers & older children Toddler
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

Poo Problem

Many of you may say 'eeuw' to this but what i did for ethan when he had a similar problem was give him a bowl of snacks (healthy of course)! and sit the potty in front of cbeebies!!!
He always sat on their long enough to solve the problem!!!

Replies

• Hi Boo,

My friend's son had a similar problem. He wouldn't go as he was constipated and it hurt him so it put him off going. They have to make sure he drinks a good amount of orange juice each day to keep him regular. They used a reward chart once he was on the orange juice to encourage him to go again and after a week or two he would.

I hope that helps you.

Zoe xx
  • Hi Boo
    Riley was the same and we managed to get round it by letting him take a few cars to the potty,its low enough for him to drive them round his feet but at the same time his bent slightly while playing on the potty and would just quite happily poo.
    I no its different with zoe but anythings worth a go once.
    Good luck with it hun and hope you both solve it quickly.

xx
  • Give her things that will encourage her poo's along like orange juice and oranges.Strawberries are known for encouraging bowels.
    If she's that constipated give her liquorish.
    If she's eating foods that you know make the bowel move she wont be able to hold it in.
    Lots of toddlers do this,they seem to have a hang up about pooing anywhere other than a nappy or pull up. You cant blame them really, after 2 years or so of doing it, it must feel really odd and maybe even wrong to do it anywhere else. I was the same as you and had to hold Daniels hand while he 'went'. My husband thought it was funny!!!!!!
    To this day Daniel still wont go anywhere other than home.
  • Hi, my son is 2 half years old, my next baby is due in 7 weeks. We started potty training at the start of the school holidays as both myself and my husband are teachers and thought it would be useful if we were both at home, at first it was going really well, Tom will go without needing prompting to do his wees and  we did all the praise and encouragement, sticker charts and things, but it seems to be going slowly pear shaped. he has started holding his poos until he's actually crying and can't stand still, we've treid to explain to him that if he wants to go it's a good thing but he's started getting stressed, but it's only about poos, if he just needs a wee he's goes without a problem. I felt completely helpless today and we didn't handle it very well as we can understand that the simple andswer is for him just to relax but he can't do it. I have thought about giving up and going back to nappies and tring agasin in a while as I don't want him to get upset like that on a regular basis and end up making himself poorly trying to hold on to it, but he now has got attached to his "big boys pants" and doesn't want to wear nappies either! I'll try the things mentioned here for a couple of days to see if that helps. My husband and I have talked about todays disaster and realise we didn't handle it well and have probably made matters worse and will try another tactic tomorrow, it's just hard not to get stressed when you know the answer is so simple and your child is getting so upset, you just want to help make it stop for them. HELP!
  • I think that it's a strange feeling for them.  My step son is potty trained but will still fight going for a poo.  He will keep getting on and off the toilet all day.  We just let him get on with it and he's getting much better.  His mum took him to the doctors to get him some medicine for constipation but reading your threads he obviously didn't need it and never took it when he was with us.

Just keep putting them on the toilet and grit your teeth.  They will have to go sooner or later and I know it sounds horrible but they will get the hang of it.  On a more disgusting note, if you can get them sitting on a potty then it will be easier for them to go as they are squatting lower.  You know when you are in labour and you just want to bear down?  Well it's the same thing...

• Thanx for that, will try. Feeling better today as we have calmed the whole situation down, just let him get up and down as often as he feels like, we had one success where he kinda stood over his potty and dropped it in rather than actually sat, which we made a huge fuss over how clever he was, we've had no more tears or panicing abou it, touch wood, but he just keeps hanging on to it until he has an accident, he runs to and from a few times, so he knows where he's supposed to do it but actually sitting down hasn't happened yet, but I feel much better now that he's not getting worked up and upset, the accidents I can deal with, we just say "never mind maybe next time" etc etc. I've always put them in his potty to show him and then we do the flushing thing, he likes to press the button and say bye, so I think it will come in time as long as he stops stressing himself about it. Bought new stickers and treats this morning too so maybe they'll help!
  • Just thought I'd let you know that we've cracked it. 6 weeks from start to finish and I now have a little boy who will HAPPILY take himself off for a wee or a poo without getting stressed or upset. Yeah. 3 weeks now til the next one so gonna enjoy no nappies for as long as it lasts!! Thanx for all the tips and things, it was a combination of cuddles, love, praise, stickers, some very good nursery girls who carried on the same process and unfortunately chocolate too! But never mind it's worked!!! Thanx all Emma x
  • My son's problem was that he kept going in his pants and not the toilet / potty.  What we did and it did work,although it could get quite expensive, was to reward him after every time he managed to do a poo on the potty and not in his pants.  We used Ben 10 toys, little ones, and let him choose one everytime.  It sorted out the problem and we weaned him off a toy every time by saying that little ones had to add up to a big one to deserve a toy, then telling him we'd run out and eventually he forgot about the toys and going to the toilet was his new habit. 

I suppose the other option, with a younger child that yo are at home with is to put them on the potty several times a day and encourage them to poo by offering bribes, oops, I meant treats(!).  It needn't be chocolate, it could be a day out somewhere, a toy, a favourite TV programme.

Good luck girls, they will get there!

• My son had the same problem, but i kept putting him on the potty for a long time and eventually he got the hang of it. Its really not an easy task.
  •  hiya guys i am new on ere and just signed up 2 night so please bare i me  LOL

My son is 4 yrs old and goes to school full time. When he was in nursery he used to go to the toilet to poo and was doing really well hes used to poo on his potty some times and the odd accident in his pants and then the 6 weeks holidays came up and he started to poo in his pants the odd time again  and then when he started  school full-time and every night with out fail when he comes home from school  he stands in the cornner of the room and hides and poos in his pants and then comes up to me and says pooed he as been doing this for a while know and i just dont know what to do !!!!!!

My health visitor came to see me and i told her about it and she told  me to just take him to the toliet and not answer him or talk to him just change him and give him his clean pants and walk out and if he talks to you just egnore him completely its bluddy hard.

I  have tried  smiley stickers,treats,suprises, trips to the park, wackyware house etc and nowt seems to work

Has anybody got any advice i am really fed up and worried hes going to carry on at the age of 5-6

and i think i am preg again so the stress dont help either but i just get on with it even his teacher as been talking to him and it dont seem to have helped either.

would appreciate any advice  thanks for reading this message

Claire and Josh

Oh yeh and one more thing anybody who knows who to do signatures wud they please be able to give me a hand in doing a few i wud be most grateful as i have no idea how to do them

thanks