Forum home Toddlers & older children Toddler

Formula v cow's milk v ready made follow on milk?

2»

Replies

• r they only sposed to have a certain amount of milk then? my lo sometimes has 3x 7oz bottles, sometimes just 1x 9oz it varies, my older kids and i drink quite a bit of milk so never occured to me he might be having too much/too little, he also eats well (3 meals a day) and just introduced a little readybreak supper. xx
  • i dont think you can win with hv's my cousins 18 month old wont drink milk at all and her hv always mentions she should be having around 20oz a day, where as mine said i should be cutting down!! she said should be getting calcium from cheese youghurts etc but he has plenty of those too. she also said he might get lazy and stop eating meals as he still has his regular milk. the last thing she said was that he was still using his bottle, he drinks juice and water from a cup but wont part with his milk from his bottle.

tbh ive given up listening to hv's you get so many different messages!! how can a good thing like milk be bad for them??
  • Grace has been quite ill recently, several bouts of colds and a virus and this last week had D&V (we all had it!), she she now won't eat and chucks up her milk again. I asked the GP about vitamins as she has lost so much weigh etc, but he said she is fine without them as usually she has a good diet, but I have started to give her them anyway, as I wasn't happy with this (her loss of appetite and weight loss). I am also going back to follow on milk for a while, just until she is well enough, as I am not sure if she is having a reaction to the cows milk , or if it is just the D&V that is making her chuck up the milk.
    I took a stool sample to the Drs today (dr told me to if she is still ill), as I am convinced she has caught some horrible bug...... or that could just be me over reacting!
  • i hope she gets better soon hun, i think milk can make em sick, mine always threw milk back up so i just stuck to juice/water while they were ill. xx
  • Grace is getting much better after her recent tummy bug. Tried follow on milk again for a few days and also tried 'Abidec' vitamin syrup, which seemed to get her appetite going again. - Normal poo service is resumed!
  • glad she is feeling better hun. xx
  • my lo is nearly 1 and still on 3 bottles/day but he's been ill and lost weight and a little fussy with food at the mo (hes only eaten a little fruit and 1 yogurt today) . We are in Australia for xmas (and b'day) so have no intention of changing him to cow's milk or cups when away. I'll look forward to the fight when I get home again. He has had the odd bottle of cow's milk wihtout much fuss so not overly worried about that switch its dropping the bottles that concern me as I'm luky if he drinks 15fl oz in a day. I can't see letting enjoy his bottles a problem plus I still enjoy the cuddle I gat when he has it!!
  • Hi Nicole,
    I thought dropping the afternoon bottle was going to be a problem, but Grace was fin with it.
    She has been ill recently so we re-introduced an afternoon bottle for a while, but now she is OK, we have dropped back to a 9oz in the morning and one at night and water the rest of the time.