Forum home Toddlers & older children Toddler

Ditching dummy at 10.5 months or later??

My DS is 10.5 months and only has his dummy for sleeping and never any other time. The dummy has to go at some point in his life and won't be easy whenever i do it so I am wondering whether to try it now or if it is better to wait until he is older. Anyone any experience of this?

Also we go on holiday in 3 months and not having a dummy would be easier as I wont have to worry if I lose one or all!

Thanks

xx

Replies

• grrr i wrote a reply but it doesnt look like it went through!!

we ditched the dummy when maddie was 12.5months as she was getting a rash around her mouth and refused any other kind of dummy, and it was badly impacting her sleep! anyway, after the first nap without it (she cried for about 10mins then fell asleep sucking her fist lol), she was fine!!! It was definitely the right decision for us as it meant she was too young to remember it after a day or two, and her sleep improved after just 2 days, her rash disappeared, and she started to say a few more words (some kids are fabulous speakers with dummies too but maddie def improved without it).

she did whinge a bit but it wasnt anything that a bit of distraction couldn't help! we also went on holiday a week or 2 after we gave up on the dummy and we took one in case of emergency but we didn't need it!

Good luck! xx