Forum home Toddlers & older children Toddler

How many words?

Hi girls

Lily can say 10 words now such as shoes , juice , bread, dumbo etc

just wondering if anyone knows how many words she should be saying at 13 months? And also shes only just started to stand on her own for only 10-15 secs before falling down , just wondering if its 'normal 'not to be standing unaided at this age?

hope you and lo's are well xxx

Replies

• Both the words and standing sound absolutely fine. Bethany is 14 months, I actually posted a couple of weeks ago that I was worried because she wasn't speaking. Nowshe can do 2 words really well (bye-bye and ohdear) and another 2 or 3 that aren't so clear. I think 10 words at 13 months is pretty good. And I really wouldn't worry about the standing either, it's quite common for toddlers not to be standing and walking much later than 13 months, I don't think it starts to be a concern until 18 months or so.
  • She sounds fab! Lucas has only just started talking now at 19 months and still says very little. He is limited to Gran (aga), car (aca), bed, mum, dad, hiya, baba (bye bye), bath (aba). Everything begins with "a" at the moment lol!
  • She sounds like she is doing really well. Every child develops at different rates and it often makes a difference if they are a first child or a second or third so I really wouldn't worry about anything. Just enjoy Lily at every age and appreciate how clever and special she is too you every time she learns something new.
  • My son is about saying 10 words now at 15 months, so i think she's doing really well. If she is starting to stand unaided I'm sure you've got nothing to worry about there either.
  • Charlie is 15 months can stand and walk holding hands but not unaided!

He can say, Aright?, Mum, Dad, Juice, Shoes, Darlie (meaning Charlie), Here, There, Row row row, Up, Down, Hiya, Hello, a few others that I can't think of - say between 15- 20 words.

I'm quite impressed lol and not concerned that he's not walking without holding my hand - :lol: gives my a little bit longer before he starts running away! xx
  • I wouldn't worry at all. Rhys is 22 months and it's only in the last few weeks he's started saying lots of words. Really have to watch what we say now as he copies EVERYTHING ha ha. It's like having a little parrot lol.
    As for standing Rhys was a similar age and didn't start walking till approx 19 months. But he went from taking a few steps, to walking everywhere really well within a week x
  • Lily sounds very clever - Harry barely says three words and hes 13 months - mom-mom, dad, and DOGDOGDOG!! (as you may tell, we have a pet dog :lol: ) - he seems to spend alot of his time chuntering away to himself but not anything you could understand.

He was earlier to walk though, 11.5 months, and is very good with his hands and fine motor skills - loves putting the lid back on the bonjela, strange boy! x
  • millie is same as harry, she was walking at 11.5 months and is also very good with her motor skills she is obsessed with lids and zips!! she can take her clothes off and she can feed herself with a spoon she can wash her hair she can also put make up on me and herself.... she can hardle say anything she says the obvious mum mum, and dadda and 'that' she tends to point at everythig and say that to it all the time! oh and she says 'ta' she makes noises like uh oh and tries to say hello but she understands everything! u tell her to bring u somethig i.e a leaf or her baby or ball and she'll go and find it. its so lovely how they all have their strengths and weaknesses and shows how they r all unique xx
  • Ellie is nearly 19 months & I was getting slightly worried about her because she doesn't say that much but she will repeat words when I ask her to & they usually come out quite clearly.

The words she says all the time are...mummy, daddy, nanny, bus, puppy, doggy, all gone, all done, bye bye, no, yes, gimmie......is this alright or should it be more at this age?
    Lauren xx