Forum home Toddlers & older children Toddler
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

New books ideas for 2 1/2 year old please

Hi there,

Lo has always loved books, so I have spend a fortune on books since he was born. We also go to the library every week, which he likes.

I think we need some new ones though, and I am looking for recommendations. Its not that i think he is advanced in what he likes out of books, its just that we need some variety! He seems to like books that he can relate to, and it seems to be more stories than simple flap or noisy books, which helps me too, as they are more interesting!

His favourite books at the moment by far are the Topsy and Tim ones, and he also likes the Usborne Farmyard Tales (Mrs Boot, Poppy, Sam and Rusty the dog), Maisy goes to the Library/Hospital/Museum etc, Tiger Who Came To Tea, and of the Janet and Alan Ahlberg books etc.

Many thanks in advance
Rhian

Replies

• Options
    Harry and his bucket full of dinosours? They were going down well in our house until Cole rediscovered his aeroplanes book and now thats all we've had most bedtimes lately. I'm very bored of it!!
  • Options
    Anything by Jez Alborough is lovely, we have 'Some Dogs Do' and one about a bear in the woods (sorry can't remember the name), but I know there are a few different ones,. We also have one thats called 'Whose on the Loo' which I think we got when my ds was about 3 and he still likes it now at 6! Also Mr men books were always a firm fave in my house especially the ones where you have to get really animated like Mr Noisy.
  • Options
    Jillyb1, We LOVE the Jez Alborough books! I think you're talking about Where's My Teddy? which is lo's favourite. We have Fix It Duck and Duck in the Truck too.

Thanks - I will try the Harry books and Whose On The Loo, and also dig out the Mr Men books, which I have just remembered were a present for lo when he was born and I have put them away somewhere 'safe'!
  • Options
    Shea has a couple of big books like "365 stories for boys" and a book "stories for each day of the year" and he's loving these at bedtime at the moment.

we'll sit in bed and he can scan through and see if anything takes his fancy (at the mo anthing to do with dinosaurs, dragons, monsters or witches and wizards!) then we have a little story, where most are 1-2 pages long, and they also have ryhmes and poems in so we'll have a couple of them too before bed

he also loves the sound books, he has a roary one that has some great sounds with it
  • Options
    How about the large family books?Lily has one of these and loves it!We have tonnes of books but I noticed in my Prima baby magazine that they have an offer on for ??13 you can get 3 Large family books and The Pig in the Pond and This is the Bear they all come with CD's too so can listen along- we have some other books like this and Lily really enjoys them. You can order via the website too so no need to buy the magazine www.pressoffers.co.uk/wal069

Lily is also in to the Peppa pig books which MIL brought her from her school book fair in a set think hubby has read them all about 50 times!
    xx
  • Options
    I can't remember the author but its Julia D.... she did the gruffalo, room on a broom and the snail and the whale and they all come in board books.

They are bright and colourful, they rhyme and are my niece, nephew and godchilds favourite books..... They know all the words by heart but still beg for them to be read to them.

Moom x
  • Options
    Moomin, is it Julia Donaldson? When DS was 2 and a half his favourite book in the world was 'Aliens Love Underpants' He's now 5 but we found it recently in a clear out of the drawers under his bed and OH and I could still recite all the words!!!! Very good book though! Also liked 'Kangaroo's Can Can Cafe' and 'You Choose' which keeps him entertained for ages and can make bedtime drag on for the uninitiated lol!!
    Xx
  • Options
    Hi Rhian2, had a quick look at bedtime and it was 'Its the Bear' by Jez Alborough that we've got although I think I may be getting some more of the other ones when my dd gets a bit older because they are so lush!! Also I got it a bit wrong It was actually 'Who's in the Loo' rather than 'on the loo' ha ha!!! and found another one we had that my son adored which was called 'Who flung dung' can you see a common theme appearing ha ha!!! x
  • Options
    we just got the gruffalo and the gruffalos child my two love these had them three days and they have had both at bedtime each night lol
    Also if you go into the works you can get 4 books for ??5 all the ones we have had have been great and a perfect lenght for a bedtime story also a plus when you go into another shop and see one of those books for ??4.99 each, must have saved a fortune getting books from the works.
  • Options
    Hi

Ive started to collect the Mr Men books for Jack. They are 4 for ??5 at the Works book shop and he chooses one each night for me to read at bedtime.
    He also loves Peppa Pig and Thomas books. TK MAxx have a lot of good ones too xx
  • Options
    Julia Donaldson has a new book out, Cave Baby, although the illustrator isn't Alex Shaeffler. It has woolly mammoths, though, so I think we may just have acquire a copy...

If he likes stories, have you tried him with fairy tales? I know Ladybird has a whole series that were on special offer recently and we just got a lovely copy of The Princess and the Pea out of the library. I also find poems are good. The Owl and the Pussycat, The Jabberwocky (if you don't think it will be too scary) and Edward Lear's nonsense verses are great fun and make for fabulous illustrations. Oh, and anything by Maurice Sendak (Where the Wild Things Are, Outside Over There, In the Night Kitchen, Pierre, Alligators All Around)
  • Options
    Thanks everyone for some great sounding suggestions. I forgot to say that we have all of the Julia Donaldson books already (yes, I go completely OTT where books are concerned!)! I hadn't heard of Maurice Sendak, and I hadn't considerd going to the fairy tales type books, so thanks for those suggestions too. I have ordered Who's In The Loo, as I think that will appeal to DH's sense of humour as well as lo, and opne of the Large Family books to see if lo likes them.

Thanks for the suggestions - all very much appreciated! x
  • Options
    A few more suggestions: The Charlie & Lola books are a big hit here! Also peace at last & yes fairy tales are always good
  • Options
    A few more suggestions: The Charlie & Lola books are a big hit here! Also peace at last & yes fairy tales are always good
  • Options
    How about the Elmer books - they are lovely stories and the illustrations are fab too! Also 'Giraffes don't Dance' is great and anything by Oliver Jeffers - Lost and Found is my favourite children's book ever I think! image xx