Forum home Toddlers & older children Toddler
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

Should he be wearing shoes yet?

My Lo is 14 months but not yet walking unaided. He cruises round the furniture & can walk whilst holding on to his push along. He doesn't have any proper shoes yet & he tends to walk about in barefeet. my MIL thinks the reason hes not walking on his own, is coz he's got no proper shoes. Is this right? i thought you shouldn't get shoes til they are properly walking. What do you think?

[Modified by: CathyG on 13 June 2007 14:07:28 ]

Replies

• hi,
    I didnt get my 2 shoes until they were walking properly, i thought it was a bit of a waste of money to be honest! When i did get them shoes though i took them to a shoe shop to be measured properly.
    I dont think the fact your LO has no shoes will be stopping him walking properly, all kids develop at different rates. My daughter was walking unaided at 11 months where as my son didnt start toddling about by himself until he was around 15 months.
    Toni x
  • hi,
    my son didnt start walking til nearly 16 months. he did have shoes, you can buy them in clarks for babys that cruise but to be honest he never wore them much, its better for there feet not to be restricted. we you do get some it is important that they are measured properly. my son was just so fast at crawling he didnt see the point of walking then one day just walked across the room and has ben on his feet ever since!
    rose x
  • why do mils think they know it all? the shoe shop i go to wont sell you shoes till your toddler is walking confidently, usually about 6 weeks after their first steps, it is far better for their little feet to be unrestricted.
  • Its best he doesnt have shoes in fact!
  • my little boy is 13m and cruising and walking slightly.he has cruising shoes from clarks which he wears in his pram when cold out and sometimes when pushing round baby walker.i do this mainly to get him used to walking with shoes on.not having shoes should not hinder progress but if u want 2 get shoes clarks do different types for different stages of walking + they r properly fitted.