Forum home Toddlers & older children Toddler
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

The Christmas Tree!!

Ok, so I know it's early to be thinking about this but does anybody else have a Toddler that is going to make it almost impossible to have a Christmas Tree this year?? I love Christmas and love putting up all the decorations in preparation, etc but I really don't see how having a Christmas Tree this year is going to be possible :\(
DS is currently 14 months so there is a chance he may start listening to "Don't touch" and "No" but I very much doubt it. We still haven't mastered getting him to leave the tv, dvd player, blinds and plugs alone so god help us in getting him to not touch a beautiful sparkly, glittery, colourful tree!
Please tell me we're not alone :\?

Replies

• Options
    My dd is 31 months so we're past "pull down the christmas tree" stage thankfully! Her first christmas she was 10 months old and did very well, hardly touched it and she was a cruising machine at that age...
    I would suggest just keeping the nicer ornaments up high and out of little arms reach. I"m sure he'll do fine.

• Options
    My youngest is 15 months at the moment (eldest will be nearly 3 at Christmas so not worried about him so much). He is starting to understand no, and if he repeatedly does things I tell him I put him in time out in his room for 1 min. It is starting to give him the right idea about what mummy means when she says no! I'm not so worried about the Christmas tree to be honest, we always get a real one (we live in Norway so would be mad not to!) and since having my first lo I have learnt to not put any breakable baubles within reach of small hands! We don't have the tree up for so long either though (put it up a week before Christmas and usually take it down a few days into the new year) so it isn't so long to keep an eye on him around it. I don't put presents around it until they have gone to bed on xmas eve as there is no way they would be able to stop themselves opening them!

I wouldn't worry too much, just make sure it is well secured so it can't easily fall if it is knocked. Getting one with roots on is a good idea too as you can keep it watered and it stops the needles falling everywhere which can be a nightmare with children about x
  • Options
    I'm going to attempt it - DS will be 15 months by Christmas - and I'm hoping we'll be ok ... I'm more worried about my pretty ornaments that normally go on all my worktops - I've had to move everything out of reach so might have to for-go them this year !
  • Options
    JJ was 15 months last year and there was no way we'd have got away with a real one so we used a small fibre optic one i usually have at the top of the stairs...this year though it's gonna be BIG and REAL hehe! x
  • Options
    i thought the same thing last year. dd was 14 months on christmas day and i left it until about 2 days before christmas eve and she was fab with it. only played with a few ball about twice, and that was just being inquisitive about the way that they moved. think this year will be more interesting though as she will be 26 months
  • Options
    Hugo was 16 months last christmas, we had a real tree with all the decorations on and all, we put it on a wooden box (which is heavy and hard to shift), and tied the tree with the stand to the box. Hugo could reach the lower branches a wee bit, but once he touched the tree and also got poked with the needles in the head, he didnt really approach it more.

I think you d be fine to be honest...
    xx
  • Options
    We had a real one last year and put it up on a coffee table in the corner of the room . I was suprised as Isaac was 11 months walking and into everything, but he didn't really bother with it. He did try to grab a few of the ornaments but we just moved them up higher!

He will probably be worse this year. He knows not to touch things now but enjoys doing them anyway!! Do you have a higher surface you could put it on? Think that helps. Good luck!
  • Options
    Oh im sure it will be fine! Juts keep saying no and they will get bored eventually!

My dd was 15 months last christmas and after a few stern no's she never bothered touching it again! I wouldnt ever compromise a christmas tree been up for anything :lol: xx
  • Options
    I put a small one high up when they are very little. If I do this then the compromise is I have a REAL one outside where you can see it... either at french doors/patio doors???? with some lights on it you will get the xmas glow...
    I had a tree when amelia was 10 months and the followingXmas... 22 months. She was fine. Do you have a babydan play pen? If so pop the tree in there? I have also banged a nail into the wall and tied string around the tree to avoid it falling on them. Also I didnt put lights or breakable/dangerous ornamants anywhere that little hands could get them.

d x
  • Options
    Ditto with MrsNoName - put them up as normal and they soon get bored! My lo was only 3 months for her first so wasn't a problem but the next was 15 and she loved it!! She would sit staring at the twinkly lights for ages - she did touch of course but we just kept telling her not to touch and she soon learned!
    Christmas isn't Christmas without a tree!!
  • Options
    I think you'll be surprised!! I was worried about this but lo was fine and the cats pay far more attention to it than he ever has done!!
    last year he was 27months and year before 15months and he didn't interfere at all.

I'm more worried about this year as the tree corner has been his toy corner for the last 11months so he's NOT going to be happy losing his toy area for a few weeks!!!
  • Options
    I think you'll be surprised too, I was worried about this last year when ds was 17 months at Christmas, but he didn't try to mess with the tree at all - we don't have a real one, but it is a full size fake one, and just didn't put the really breakable baubles too near the bottom - although my Mum and hubby still managed to break some!
  • Options
    I hadn't given it any thought, I have 3los, the youngest will be 20months at Xmas and I've never not had a tree or put it high up, of course little ones will try and touch it but they learn they cant just like other things in the house x
  • Options
    Lo was nearly one for his first Christmas, and I put the Christmas tree in a babydan playpen! It was the only way I could eb suire that lo wouldn't either hurt himself by pulling it on top of him or ruin all the decorations. Lol - it looked like I was trying to stop the Christmas tree escaping! The next year, when he was almost 2, he didn't touch it, just kept saying ooooh lights
  • Options
    Last Christmas lo was 18months and we just put it up slightly later, like 2nd wk in dec and made sure the decorations were out of her reach. The ones she did grab which just said no in a tone that she knew was not allowed and she soon stopped. However, she was just exploring. She was easily distracted by the twinkling lights. Just remember you will need to hoover the needles from the floor more often, especially if you buy one that drops them easier.
  • Options
    i was worried when my ds was smaller but were way past that stage,was actually surprised that have never had to tell him off or teach him to stay away......my last years problem was getting him to keep the lights off during the day.my ds just liked to watch everything xxx

you never know you might be surprised how well they are with it...on the other hand you could be in for a lot of times getting up and down lol
  • Options
    My husband and I have been wondering the same thing for a little while, last year was easy enough as our son was mainly crawling and quite content with his toys, though we put a baby gaurd up just incase.

Though this year, he's like a whirlwind! We also now have two large dogs and the baby gaurd is beeing used to keep the dogs away from our house rabbit (it's like a zoo but we like the noise haha), so if anyone has any ideas, I'd love to hear them lol x
  • Options
    Not sure how we are going to go on either, Isabelle will be 16 months yet ALL of our ornaments are glass :roll:
    I have even considered laser cutting new ones at work and letting her paint them so we can have glitter and sparkle, but just no danger of breakages, but not sure I want wooden decs, and hubby suggested doing acrylis ones, but the laser cutter can leave sharp edges so that not the best idea either!

I think we may go back to what we used to do before I bought so many decs and buy a really little living tree that ( 3-4ft) that we can take back, and put it one of the ikea boxes. However I am scared of her pulling it over as she is such a climber!

I may wait and see what nursery do and follow their lead! We could always put it in the dining room as we have a divider hmmm :\?