Forum home Toddlers & older children Toddler

Night Time Bottle of Milk

Can anyone else please tell me when they stopped giving their LO a bottle of milk at night?

A work colleague was really surprised that i was still giving my 19 month old[ a bottle of milk before bed. I had just recently stopped giving her a bottle of formula before bed and moved onto a bottle of whole milk, but she didnt sleep as good so i have put her back on the formula, Cow and Gate goodnight milk.

Is this wrong? She likes it, i like giving it, but am i doing her harm in the long run by 'prolonging' the bedtime feed?

Any advice or anecdotes would be greatly appreciated!:\?

Replies

• Hi hun

I wouldn't worry too much, what is right for one isn't for another. My ds is 3 and still loves a bottle of milk at bedtime, I personally don't see why it's a problem, it has no adverse affects on him and he finds it comforting. I just think it's no different to me having a glass of hot milk before bed.

Sam
    xxx

[Modified by: Sammi and Harrison on April 22, 2010 09:52 PM]

[Modified by: Sammi and Harrison on April 22, 2010 09:53 PM]

• oh god......ur friend would be shocked at me as my 5yr old always has a cup of warm milk at bedtime and my 19mth old has a bottle of milk at bedtime and in the morning, i dont see any harm in it, if they like it then carry on with it, i know for a fact my 19mth old especially would not settle at bedtime if she didnt have her milk as she knows this is part of her routine, bath....milk...bed. xxx image
  • I don't personally see what's wrong with this?
    My DD is 18 months and enjoys her bottle before bed, like you say it's part of the routine. I am in the middle of getting her off the bottle of formula and onto beakers of cow's milk atm, and I guess she will take less before bed when I do this, but she'll still get milk before bed! I'd rather get it down from 7oz to 4 or 5oz's in prep for when the potty training starts mind.
    My sister's boy is coming up 5 and still has a small beaker of milk half and hour before bed. x
  • Having the milk before bed isnt the problem - so long as you brush their teeth afterwards of course - its the bottle that can damage their teeth. A beaker or cup is fine, but a bottle after the age of 1 can damage their teeth.

It might not show now, but can cause tooth decay as it means the milk stays on their teeth longer than if they're using a beaker; thats why they say no bottles after a year.

My lo (17 months) has weak hot chocolate made with whole milk before bed, whilst having his bedtime story. He has it in an open cup with a straw, and loves it. We then brush his teeth and its up to bed.
  • Agree that there isn't an issue with milk before bed, or 1st thing in the morning.

Although when trying to potty train and get lo to be dry at night you might want to cut outthe milk right before bed.

As for bottle vs beaker. My lo drinks form an assortment of beakers during the day but refuses anything other than a bottle morning and night for milk. Infact won't drink milk form beaker during the day either.
    So I think so long as you brush teeth after the milk there shouldn't be an issue with bottle rather than beaker at bedtime. S x
  • my dd is almost 18 months and has a cup of milk with breakfast and before bed. some nights she doesnt have much milk before bed but still settles and sleeps through the night. i have no intention of taking the milk at bed time away for the forseeable future as she likes it and its extra calcium for her. might have to rethink when it comes to potty training for the time being im happy. plus i get a cuddle while she sits on my lap with her cup watching an ITNG before bed.
  • My lo is 28mths now & ive only just cut his bedtime bottle out & changed to a cup of milk.
    I dont think its a problem, unless like my little one who was using it like a dummy and wanting it all the time & waking up for more, so really i had to cut it out. As long as you dont see a problem, do what you think is right for you child
  • I will agree with others and say it's fine, however you MUST brush her teeth after the bottle. I understand for a lot of toddlers they get sleepy or even fall asleep on the bottle and just go straight down to bed and sleep. However the milk will be on their teeth all through the night and can cause serious damage (I didn't know how true this was until watching panorama the other night on avoidable conditions in children).

I wouldnt neccesarily stop the habit though image